No Sound Through Aria

Post your ARIA Engine questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

davidf500

No Sound Through Aria

Postby davidf500 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Hello,

I recently upgraded to SmartScore X2 Pro (from SmartScore Lite that came with Finale PrintMusic). SmartScore X2 Pro comes with Aria and a selection of Garritan sounds but I can't get any sound when playing back through Aria. I see the notes light up in SmartScore but no sound. I do get sound when I playback through Internal Playback in SmartScore and I have sound in every other application. I can switch back and forwards between Aria and everything else and it's only in Aria that I have no sound.

When I upgraded, I did so by download (not CD/DVD) and there was a message saying "Garritan and Aria installers predate OS 12 (Sierra) enhanced security features. It is possible that SmartScore X2 WITH garritan Sounds installer may fail to install completely. If so, return to this download page and download SmartScore X2 WITHOUT Garritan Sounds." Sure enough, SmartScore with Garritan wouldn't install so I installed the version without Garritan. Musitek then told me how to install Garritan and Aria, which I did. One thing I noticed was that when I downloaded X2 Pro with Garritan (that wouldn't install) it was a very large file but when I downloaded everything separately they were all smaller files and their sizes wouldn't add up to the all-in-one file size. Not sure if that's relevant.

When I select Audio Units as the Midi Device in SmartScore and Aria Player opens I have then loaded instruments (using one of the Ensembles). Channels in Playback Console have instruments loaded in Aria and I have increased the volume sliders in the Aria mixer.

I have tried changing everything I can find to get sound but no luck so far. When I playback through Internal Playback the top left corner of the Playback Console shows midi port A. When I switch to Aria, it shows midi port B. Again, not sure if that's relevant, but I don't think it is.

I have tried the SmartScore forum and I have tried Musitek tech support, but no luck so far with either. The Musitek response was that if I have successfully loaded instruments from the Ensembles section (which it appears to me I have) and Aria volumes are maxed (yes) and you still hear nothing (yes), "the problem is isolated to something in your machine's configuration. This limits our ability to suggest any "fix". Your problem would therefore present a unique problem to us and our experience. You might visit our forum and ask if anyone else has had the same experience. At least you can use standard playback mode." Unfortunately, the sound quality of SmartScore's standard playback is pretty poor (to be polite) and Aria with Garritan was one of the drawcards to upgrade. But so far I haven't been able to use it.

Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm sure it will end up being a simple setting somewhere - I just can't find it !

Thanks,

David
SmartScore ProX2 (10.5.8); PrintMusic 2014.5
Mac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: No Sound Through Aria

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 am

. Musitek then told me how to install Garritan and Aria, which I did. One thing I noticed was that when I downloaded X2 Pro with Garritan (that wouldn't install) it was a very large file but when I downloaded everything separately they were all smaller files and their sizes wouldn't add up to the all-in-one file size. Not sure if that's relevant

What kind of size difference are we talking about? Large enough so that it would mean samples were not installed?

Do you get sound when clicking on the keyboard in ARIA Player once it's loaded or do the keys are blacked out?

davidf500

Postby davidf500 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 pm

When I downloaded SmartScore with Aria and Garritan (that would not install) it was over 680MB.
When I downloaded and installed the separate items they were:
SmartScore (without Aria and Garritan) 61MB
Aria 34MB
Garritan_SmartScore 2.6MB

They add up to about 98MB.

The piano keys along the bottom of the Aria window appear to me to be greyed out. When I click on a key it changes colour but there is no sound.
OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

davidf500

Postby davidf500 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 pm

I have also just noticed that if I try to load an instrument to an individual channel (instead of using Ensembles) I get a message saying "ARIA Instrument Parser - No samples or generators were found !" and then a list of "Can't open ;/ Applications/Garritan SmartScore/SmartScore_Samples/........"

I have tried attaching a screenshot.

Screenshot 2017-09-09 13.14.01.png
Screenshot 2017-09-09 13.14.01.png (244.31 KiB) Viewed 318 times
OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 am

Samples are not installed, you really need to run the complete installer to get them.

davidf500

Postby davidf500 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:39 am

Thanks. When you say "run the complete installer" do you mean the 680MB file of SmartScore with Aria and Garritan? And if so, how do I get around the issue of Garritan and Aria installers predating OS 12 (Sierra) enhanced security features and failing to install ?
OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 am

Yes, I mean running the 680MB installer that has samples with it.

Contact Musitek for support, they'll tell you if they'll take care of talking with MakeMusic or if you need to contact MakeMusic directly for any updates or trick to make it work on 10.12. Yes, the ARIA Engine is our technology but this is a Garritan/MakeMusic product made for a Musitek product, there's nothing we can do about the installer.

Return to “ARIA Engine”