Will Alter/Ego have custom voice banks because of Lyrebird?

Post your ARIA Engine questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

MarcN58T

Will Alter/Ego have custom voice banks because of Lyrebird?

Postby MarcN58T » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 am

Recently, I heard about the voice copying technology called Lyrebird (lyrebird.ai). The early beta seems promising, and they are still working on the API, but I wonder theoretically, if I could feed the voices generated by Lyrebird and create a custom voice bank for Alter/Ego? Imagine famous singers or actors singing what they never really mean.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Will Alter/Ego have custom voice banks because of Lyrebird?

Postby davidv » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 am

MarcN58T wrote:Recently, I heard about the voice copying technology called Lyrebird (lyrebird.ai). The early beta seems promising, and they are still working on the API, but I wonder theoretically, if I could feed the voices generated by Lyrebird and create a custom voice bank for Alter/Ego? Imagine famous singers or actors singing what they never really mean.

Hi these guys are from our Alma mater so maybe we could meet them at one point. Though tbh the ethics side of some uses are very worrisome to us.
Cheers
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

MarcN58T

Postby MarcN58T » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:00 am

davidv wrote:Hi these guys are from our Alma mater so maybe we could meet them at one point. Though tbh the ethics side of some uses are very worrisome to us.
Cheers

Wow! I never knew these guys were somehow related to Plogue. Anyway, despite the ethics of possible misuse (we can always have ways to detect fake voices from real, plus mention it up front), perhaps it will still be possible, because imagine a fictional character from a TV show singing or covering a song. Maybe when the API is developed, then you guys can probably integrate it into ARIA engine for Alter/Ego?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

MarcN58T wrote:Wow! I never knew these guys were somehow related to Plogue. Anyway, despite the ethics of possible misuse (we can always have ways to detect fake voices from real, plus mention it up front), perhaps it will still be possible, because imagine a fictional character from a TV show singing or covering a song. Maybe when the API is developed, then you guys can probably integrate it into ARIA engine for Alter/Ego?

If it can run in realtime, which is always the catch right?
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

MarcN58T

Postby MarcN58T » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 pm

davidv wrote:If it can run in realtime, which is always the catch right?

Um, yeah. Running the engine in realtime together with Lyrebird's API for voice banks, it would make a great fit for an advanced singing synthesiser. I tried contacting Lyrebird for suggestions...

UPDATE: I have received a reply from them. Apparently, they are really cautious about copying someone else's voice so they decided not to implement the audio feeding feature to be safe. Maybe I have to get permission from someone else for voicebanks?

Return to “ARIA Engine”