Difficulties selecting sounds - A few issues

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Tristan Young

Difficulties selecting sounds - A few issues

Postby Tristan Young » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm

Hello. First, thank you for a great VST. I love it. I definitely grew up with a Speak and Spell, so it brings back the past. Lots of fun.

When selecting a TMS bending bank entry with the mouse, I have a very difficult time selecting the right sound.

The numbers appearing beside the dial do not always correspond to the sound. Sometimes I have to move the mouse a little bit more after the number has changed in order to get the right entry. Each number should be associated with a specific entry, but I have found I often get two different distinct sound entries for a specific number, usually the one I want, or the one before the one I want. I feel the logic or detection behind the dial is broken.

To make things tedious, after selecting an entry, you have to play the entry before the text is displayed on-screen to know what it is. Makes finding what you want slow.

The pop-up list provides non-descriptive numbers 0 through 127. I'm just supposed to know which sound is in position 32. I couldn't find a list anywhere online, so I began compiling my own list. I can make this available if anyone wants it. I just completed module 1, and am working on module 2. It would be nice to have this list incorporated into the software. I still like the numbers for reference, but the added text would be very useful.

Due to the 128 entries residing in one list, the pop-up list is very long. It has to be scrolled by pressing the down or up buttons on either end of the list. Each subsequent pop-up list starts at the beginning, so scrolling towards the end of the list is even more tedious.

If these aspects were corrected, I could be more productive with this VST. I still think it's great, but it could be just a little bit better ;)

Happens with the latest version available today - v1.016 for Windows. I'm running Win 7 64bit.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Difficulties selecting sounds - A few issues

Postby davidv » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am

Hello

Thanks for the question. Its the first one we have on TMS bending.
The whole bending module is really mimicking the "experimental" approach to finding sounds on the S&S and variants. Yes the knob to select sounds can fall half way, and you fare better with the numbered drop down.

Indeed the values could be the text entry and in our engine there is currently no way to export a list of lists to the UI (bank and its content), so that was the only way possible.

No need to make paper lists btw, they are all in {install dir}/Programs/TMS Bending.sfz file (its a text format).

We have a few surprise for this module in the future.
Stay tuned!
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Tristan Young

Postby Tristan Young » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Thank you for pointing out the list of sounds in that file. That will make it much quicker and easier.

The pop-up list doesn't truly suit the sheer amount of selections. Picking off one sound here and there won't be as big an issue now that I have a list.

I guess I don't really understand why the knob is allowed to show a number that doesn't correspond to the sound, while the pop-up list offers the required precision. If one can do it precisely, why can't the other?

Looking forward to future versions, can't wait to find out what you have in store.

Thank you.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 am

Tristan Young wrote:I guess I don't really understand why the knob is allowed to show a number that doesn't correspond to the sound, while the pop-up list offers the required precision. If one can do it precisely, why can't the other?

Some thing you should know is that even if the knob was set to 128 discrete steps, host parameter automation, like in typical VST can send you any floating point value between [0;1], so it behaves just like the current knob.
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

Tristan Young

Postby Tristan Young » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 pm

davidv wrote:Some thing you should know is that even if the knob was set to 128 discrete steps, host parameter automation, like in typical VST can send you any floating point value between [0;1], so it behaves just like the current knob.

Thank you. That explains it.

Return to “chipspeech Bugs and Problems”