License Transfers

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

caco

License Transfers

Postby caco » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:25 am

Hello, I am interested in purchasing Bidule and would like to know whether licenses can be transferred or not should I wish to resell it in the future?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:43 am

Hi

(heres the edited new policy on license transfers for ALL plogue products)

The license file contains your name and address, phone number, etc, and its not the kind of stuff that you want to give to other people (in fact thats the point of this protection).

So License transfers would need to pass through us (read: we need to take the time, and deal with both parties involved, generate a key for the new user, and invalidate the previous key in updates)... time, and time=money

Its a complex process, which has to be done manually. Since we dont use a dongle which is tied to a system, and an automatic third party solution to exchange licenses, we have to charge some minimal fee to do so (20 USD per product). Also once the license has been transfered, it cannot be transfered again. It becomes essentially an NFR (Not for Resale) product.

We are not there to screw off anyone, but if we allow license transfers for free, since we can't prove the old user has uninstalled the version of bidule (or chipsounds) that was still valid, there no additional sale that gets our way.

We don't do challenge response, no intrusive dongle or "service" software of any kind. instead with both Bidule and chipsounds, you can install the app on ANY NUMBER of your OWN systems, and you can mix and match MACs and PCs, wipe them clean, ghost the machines, reinstall, and always use the same key. There are advantage and disadvantages to any form of CP. We are taking caltulated financial risks with our method.

We think we are being reasonable, considering all the aspects of the trade.
There is no such thing as being for or against license transfers, i think it TOTALLY depends on the type of copy protection involved.

Thanks
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

caco

Postby caco » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi David,

I think your policy is fair, I would happily pay a small transfer fee to cover costs and especially is allows for less intrusive copy protection.

I know someone who is interested in selling Bidule to me, so how would I go about arranging the transfer and sorting out the transfer payment to you guys?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:45 pm

caco wrote:Hi David,

I think your policy is fair, I would happily pay a small transfer fee to cover costs and especially is allows for less intrusive copy protection.

I know someone who is interested in selling Bidule to me, so how would I go about arranging the transfer and sorting out the transfer payment to you guys?

You need write to us with the license originator CCed.
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

blurk

Postby blurk » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:30 pm

davidv wrote:We dont do challenge response, no intrusive dongle or "service" software of any kind. instead with both Bidule and chipsounds, you can install the app on ANY NUMBER of your own systems, wipe them clean, ghost the machine, reinstall, and always use the same key.

I've never been really clear on this point: I recall once reading the Bidule license and interpreting that as stating you could only run it on one machine at a time. I guess that doesn't conflict with what your saying here: you can install on many of your own systems but only run one at a time. Or are you OK with running on multiple machines (all by the one person / user, of course)?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 am

It's ok to run it on multiple machines at the same time, read this post:
http://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=25041#25041

blurk

Postby blurk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:55 pm

seb@plogue wrote:It's ok to run it on multiple machines at the same time

Cool, thanks. I always like supporting the vendors who realise in this modern world that a single user may well be using multiple machines.

xsys

Re: License Transfers

Postby xsys » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Just to clarify about license transfers...

The seller notifies you of the transfer, pays the $20, and I have a NFR version of Bidule that gives me all the right and privileges of any other owner...including updates, correct?

Can I pay the $20?

Once I update to the official version of Bidule (to either the 'Lite' or 'Pro'), will I have a new license that is NOT NFR?

Thanks,
John

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 am

The seller notifies you of the transfer, pays the $20, and I have a NFR version of Bidule that gives me all the right and privileges of any other owner...including updates, correct?

Yes, the only right you lose if to re-sell that license.

Can I pay the $20?

We do not care if it is the seller or buyer who pay the fee.

Once I update to the official version of Bidule (to either the 'Lite' or 'Pro'), will I have a new license that is NOT NFR?

If you purchase any paid update, I'd say that it should revoke the NFR tag...

xsys

Postby xsys » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:52 am

seb@plogue wrote:
If you purchase any paid update, I'd say that it should revoke the NFR tag...

That is very much appreciated!

JR

stevenson

Postby stevenson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:35 am

Just to clarify as I have similar quesiton:

I am getting a slave PC and I have a license for bidule for the mac. How do I get the guys to install bidule for PC on the new machine? Just send them a link to the download?

Where would I find the serial number for bidule?

Actually in answer to my question I found the plg bin file. So presumably I send that to the computer builders and they can download the bidule software and register it (or I can when I get the computer). Is that right?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:10 am

I am getting a slave PC and I have a license for bidule for the mac. How do I get the guys to install bidule for PC on the new machine? Just send them a link to the download?

Yes, just download the demo version from our site.

Actually in answer to my question I found the plg bin file. So presumably I send that to the computer builders and they can download the bidule software and register it (or I can when I get the computer). Is that right?

Yes, either wait for the computer to get to you and register with your existing license or send it to them so they can do it for you.

Return to “Bidule General”