Future of Bidule and Registration. (Early Bird License)

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

davidv
Site Admin

Future of Bidule and Registration. (Early Bird License)

Postby davidv » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:42 pm

Future of Bidule and Registration.

It was made clear from the questions of our users that we needed to define with more precision what our future plans were for the future of our products.

Users were worried about their investment in a pre 1.0 version of bidule if they found out later that the price we would announce for 1.0 would be too much for them.
And then would we dump 0.9xxx support?
What if the market went VST 3.0, AU 3.0 or 64bit processors were the norm in a year??

Well the answer is...

Sometime in 2005 our product line will be split into two versions of Bidule:
a still unnamed "lite" version and "Bidule" or "full" version.

The idea here is that the "lite" version would do what most people currently use Bidule for, which is to host plugins in a flexible, modular manner, either stand alone, or as a ReWire Device plus a few new surprises.

The full version would contain everything the lite version has plus the other aspects of the current build of Bidule that will find an audience in the more advanced users and sound designers primarly, ie the building blocks (synth and FX creation) and FFT processing. (plus any wacky advanced features we think of until then)

In the mean time, while waiting for the switch to happen, you can buy a key that will unlock any build of bidule "full" pre 1.0
AND WILL UNLOCK BIDULE LITE 1.0 ONCE WE MAKE IT AVAILABLE!!

It is important to know that both applications will be developped and maintained as long as we are in business!

Q: But Why register your copy of Bidule now?
A:
  • You will get the new Bidule "lite" 1.0 and its bug fixes once its ready.
  • You will pay much less for Bidule "full" 1.0 once its ready.
    (What you already paid will be credited + you'll get an additional rebate)
  • No more expiration dates! Keep any pre-1.0 build you like, and update it only when you like.
  • You can legally use the key you'll receive on as many machines you personally own. (If you have 2 Windows and 1 OSX Machine, just use the same key! )
  • It's only 75 USD.
  • You help us survive while we work hard on 1.0.

Q: What do you mean, "help you survive"?
A: Bidule's developers have now committed themselves FULL-TIME to developing Bidule. Originally a labour of love, Bidule now needs you to support a commercial product, to keep the current pace of professional product development, e-mail support, and software updates.

Its simple! Get bidule 0.85, Install it, go to Help/About and click Register!

Note1 - If you're not on the machine where your copy of bidule is installed you can always access the registration site here:
http://www.plogue.com/bidule/buy.html

Note2 - Keep this key file in a safe place. You will need it again if you reformat or reinstall your OS. Share-it will keep a copy of your key for a while and you can get it back from them, provided you registered with a user name/password on their site.
In case you lost it, we have ways to make it "re-appear" for you, just send a mail to support@plogue.com if you lose it.

Note3 - The key will still be active once you unisntall bidule and install a new version like say 0.7XXX, 0.8XXX or 0.9XXX. You will not have to repeat the process unless you reinstall your OS

Note4 (updated june 2005) - On the Shareit form , make sure your Reg Name is at least 8 characters long!

Thanks for your support!
Last edited by davidv on Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

darthfader

Re: Getting an Early Bird Bidule License Key!

Postby darthfader » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:13 am

davidv wrote:Q: Why register your copy of Bidule now?
A:
  • Buy now, and pay much less for 1.0 (TBD). What you paid will be credited towards a 1.0 reg key and youll also get an additional rebate!
  • If you have 2 Windows and 1 OSX Machine, you use the same key!
  • It's only 75 USD.
  • You help us survive while we work hard on 1.0.

Can you please confirm the price..
Does this mean that the price is 75 total... or is it just 75 dollars (downpayment - essentially), plus some unknown amount??
I love the program, but need to know how much (ballpark) it'll be before i send 75 bucks.
Is the 75 refundable --- if the price ends up being 700 dollars?

thanks

Husky

G5 Dsk. - D1.8 / 10.3 / LAP 6.3.3 / PT LE 6.7
G4 Lap. - 667 / 10.3 / LAP 6.3.3 / PT LE 6.1.2

www.eightbitaudio.com

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Getting an Early Bird Bidule License Key!

Postby davidv » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:01 am

Hi there.

darthfader wrote:Can you please confirm the price..
Does this mean that the price is 75 total... or is it just 75 dollars (downpayment - essentially), plus some unknown amount??
I love the program, but need to know how much (ballpark) it'll be before i send 75 bucks.
Is the 75 refundable --- if the price ends up being 700 dollars?

I truely understand your concerns, and i feel a bit naive not having thought about it before ;)

The thing is: we already know the price that we are going to sell 1.0, and we feel 75$ is a significative portion of it. Sorry we cant for now disclose the final price as our competitors like this information too much.
Suffice to say 700 is just silly! :)

On the other hand lemme add a bit more on the subject. Buying an early bird license now gives you the right to use for as long as you like the feature sets that we will add to bidule up to v0.99xx. And even after we ship 1.0, if there are significative bugs found in 0.9xxx we will continue fixing them until the issues left are very minor.

We know for a fact that some of our current users might not care for the features that we plan for 1.0 and may feel happy to stick with 0.9, say if their only goal is to play live instruments and fx using bidule's flexibility.
Last edited by davidv on Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Viens,

davidf

Postby davidf » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:17 am

this is exactly the question i was going to ask...
can we have an estimate of the final Bidule Price ?

thanks

david

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:36 am

davidf wrote:this is exactly the question i was going to ask...
can we have an estimate of the final Bidule Price ?

Hi

ok more than 75, and less than 300 ;)

But again, please think of 1.0 as a different product that you dont have to buy. the pre release of bidule that you would register will still work and do
all the things it currently does.

We cant force everyone upgrading to 1.0, especially if you dont need the new features, say you only use Bidule as Rewire slave to another application for a limited set of features.
David Viens,

madmax

Postby madmax » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:05 am

i am very happy with bidule like it is NOW. ok some things (no bugs) should be done, but more or less ist quite nice.
i know the max 300 bugs was only an example, but let me say maybe 1.0 costs 150$ . then you have to do a lot of work. when you look at other modular live programms what they cost and what they do. i dont want to criticise your work !!!
yery interesting was to know 1.0 is coming xx/2005 (maybe, i know its just planned). maybe it will be a good advertisement to write at your side what new features are planned, because this early bird license is a little bit investment in the future :)

but as you described, i agree with you. they who want a license for bidule like it is now and until 0.9xx the early bird...... is a very good idea

darthfader

Postby darthfader » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:42 am

OK.

So the way i understand it - and it does sound fair - is that essentially the $75 is a licence for the 'Bidule Light' or Bidule as we know it... plus a handful of features?

Then.. for those of us that use it almost exclusively as a vst / au host and a modular plugin / mixer environment, that will be all we need to pay?
And we can ignore v 1.0 when it's out?
Because i really only need a _reliable_ host for plugins, for live and recording, and that's streamlined and lean. and don't really need sequencing, recording etc etc (i've got plenty of cpu / ram hungry apps that do that ;-)), and i'm sure plenty of other users agree.

Will there possibly be two versions of Bidule?
Like EnergyXT?
E.g. a plugin-hosting version, like we have now, and a 'full' version?

In other words, will the dev. for the 'pre 1.0 version' continue at all?
For all those unforeseen issues, like when Apple changes the AU format again, everyone changes to 64bit native OS's, etc ??
I'm still a bit weary of the 'not really sure what will happen to the $75 a year from now - issue'...

Husky

G5 Dsk. - D1.8 / 10.3 / LAP 6.3.3 / PT LE 6.7

G4 Lap. - 667 / 10.3 / LAP 6.3.3 / PT LE 6.1.2

www.eightbitaudio.com

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:57 am

darthfader wrote:OK.

So the way i understand it - and it does sound fair - is that essentially the $75 is a licence for the 'Bidule Light' or Bidule as we know it... plus a handful of features?

Yes i think thats pretty much it.

darthfader wrote:Will there possibly be two versions of Bidule?
Like EnergyXT?
E.g. a plugin-hosting version, like we have now, and a 'full' version?

Thats something we are still discussing, but its a very big possibility.

darthfader wrote:In other words, will the dev. for the 'pre 1.0 version' continue at all?
For all those unforeseen issues, like when Apple changes the AU format again, everyone changes to 64bit native OS's, etc ??
I'm still a bit weary of the 'not really sure what will happen to the $75 a year from now - issue'...

Yes, then i think ill have to really to disclose some of our future plans. :)
Ill prepare an official stance and modify the early bird license text. for the eventual pro/lite version
David Viens,

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:41 pm

bump

(added more details in the first post)
David Viens,

Ranxerox

Postby Ranxerox » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:49 pm

I have been using the May beta release for a few months and I find myself turning to it more and more for inspiration. I often use it as a plug-in host, but I can also imagine wanting to use it for more Max/MSP-type stuff.

So my question is, in the proposed 'full' version of v 1.0, to what extent are the building-blocks going to be expanded over the current beta?

And what type of DSP/control functionality are you interested in extending in future versions- more math-type stuff, or straight software-synthesis/hardware emulation, or... ? (I understand the answer to this one might be a bit sensitive...)
"Pint of bitter... in a THIN glass."

ursamtl

Postby ursamtl » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:10 am

Will the lite version still contain the multichannel input/output features we use for converting stereo to 5.1 surround?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:18 am

ursamtl wrote:Will the lite version still contain the multichannel input/output features we use for converting stereo to 5.1 surround?

In short yes.
David Viens,

Ani

Little bit of topic

Postby Ani » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:26 am

But I just wanted to shout out, Love Bidule, Bought the early bird license, keep up the cool work!!
Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Simon666

Postby Simon666 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:37 am

Hi guys -
Wondering if the Feb 24th version is going to be the one where you introduce the lite/full versions ? Or will it still be a Beta ?

I'm asking specifically in relation to teaching some audio students (at the start of March), so would be good to know if it's pay-only from that date ... or still later in 2005 ?

Thanks!
Simon

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:52 pm

Hi Simon,

here's my answer to a similar question in another thread:

unless something unexpected happens there will be another version
under the same terms (i.e. an expiry date if you don't own a license)
but it's sure that it won't be available on the 24th as we haven't yet
finished everything we wish to put in. i can't give any date as it will
be ready when it is ready...

Return to “Bidule General”