Converting ''Mixer'' or ''Gain'' fader's readout to be a parameter

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

classic bandana

Converting ''Mixer'' or ''Gain'' fader's readout to be a parameter

Postby classic bandana » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:12 pm

Obviously Mixer/Gain parameters are not linear, how would I get the level readings to be an actual parameter?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Converting ''Mixer'' or ''Gain'' fader's readout to be a parameter

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:42 pm

What do you mean? If you use parameter linking inside Bidule it will scale automatically to the target.

You can always use this:

linear = pow(10.0, dB*0.05)
dB = 20.0*log10(linear)

boonier

Postby boonier » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 am

When I read this, I understood that as saying [0,1] range will map to [inf, 0db] when parameter linked, when actually it maps to the whole range of the Gain slider, as Seb suggests.

But using the formula (or Unit convertor > Linear to DB) you can create your own Gain stage, if you are mapping a midi controller or something.

Is that what you mean?

Mr.vybz

Postby Mr.vybz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:51 am

Im having the same issue, i just dont understand, i have my variable linked to a unit converter linear to DB then to a rel mod abs with a -12 to 12 scaling. But im not getting the desired effect, what im i missing or doing wrong. The use for this is to control audio signals from nebula

Also how can i use that formula that Seb posted above, would the function bidule work?

Confused much lol, i had better days...

Thanks

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Variable in dB (e.g. -15 to +10 or whatever) --> db to linear --> multiply against audio signal.

That multiply can either be binary operator * or a function x*y.

That gets you away from the modulator, which is where you are getting messed up.

FYI I have NEVER used relative modulation (I admit I don't understand it and have never gotten it to do anything for me) but I do use absolute and just set the min/max to equal what my signal min/max will be, but I digress. Try the above without modulation.

Once you get that working you can have the variable "learn" to be controlled by midi, etc.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:55 pm

dts350z's solution would bypass the need for parameter linking, but if you do need it for some reason, this should work --

Use a Variable and set its min/max to whatever scaling you want in dB (like -12 and 12).
Connect to a Unit Converter set to 'dB to linear'.
Connect to a Parameter Modulator (abs) set to min=0, max=1.
In Parameters window, link the param mod "modulation" source to your desired target.

If you do in fact need relative parameter modulation, that's different (in your post you say "rel mod abs" -- I think you mean param mod abs, yes?).

Mr.vybz

Postby Mr.vybz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:18 am

Thanks Guys for your time & help but i think im missing something vital to this language.
my intentions are to host my preamps in bidule, but reading out in db in my Daw.

nothing suggested worked, so far still getting linear responses 0.560000 :( i wonder if my parameter linking is the problem? I'll Post my layout when i get home.

Edit: Hmm after brushing up my math skiils, the picture is starting to get clearer.
Last edited by Mr.vybz on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.vybz

Postby Mr.vybz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Does the Parameter Modulation (abs) affect linear, Frequencies & db values sent from a math bidule or variable?

Hey dts350z, can you elaborate about: multiply against audio signal.

What bidules would i use to build these formula?

linear = pow(10.0, dB*0.05)
dB = 20.0*log10(linear)

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 pm

You could "build" those in the function bidule, but you don't need to because the unit converter bidule has linear to dB and dB to linear.

Please read the help file all the way through, and examine the example layouts.

I still can't tell exactly what you are trying to do (control the gain of something using a fader in Plogue or display the gain in plogue controlled by midi or some VST) but examine the two groups in the attached layout.

Gain Examples.bidule
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Mr.vybz

Postby Mr.vybz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 am

dts350z wrote:You could "build" those in the function bidule, but you don't need to because the unit converter bidule has linear to dB and dB to linear.

Please read the help file all the way through, and examine the example layouts.

I still can't tell exactly what you are trying to do (control the gain of something using a fader in Plogue or display the gain in plogue controlled by midi or some VST) but examine the two groups in the attached layout.

Gain Examples.bidule

Display the gain(db) of a Vst Fader from Bidule to my Daw Connected to a parameter/Midi Controller is my main objective, i now understand the unit Converter simplify the process by combining multiple bidules.

Thank you for the layouts will take a look, i have read the manual pdf numerous times to get a better understanding & the wiki when totally lost but the descriptions are very vague.

To expand a little on my usage of bidule the sequence is:
FL Studio/Reaper (Daw)- - ->
Nyrv Agent (Main Gui)- - ->
Bidule (Inside Agent)- - ->
Vst (Nebula Inside Bidule)- - ->
Nyrv Agent (Nebula Linked From Bidule para to Agent Para/Midi)- - ->
FL Studio/Reaper (Daw)

Hope this helps you better understand my set up

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm

I guess the answer lies in this part of the chain:
Nyrv Agent (Main Gui)- - ->
Bidule (Inside Agent)- - ->
Vst (Nebula Inside Bidule)- - ->

In Bidule, when you hook up a a midi monitor to the Nyrv Agent device, what do you see? What type of data / midi message / range?
Likewise in Bidule, how do you have Nebula set up to send midi data (or otherwise) out? Does Nebula have a midi out port?
I guess you are saying the last part of the signal is midi out from your DAW, midi feedback to control a slider on your midi controller?

Return to “Bidule General”