Group Evolution Management?

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

NTO

Group Evolution Management?

Postby NTO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:11 am

This is driving me crazy. NOTE: I am not opposed to XML editing if need be... (Though I note the top level group's XML SEEMS to indicate it should have the updated memebrs...)
2017-06-23_BiduleGroupEvolutionQuestion.png
2017-06-23_BiduleGroupEvolutionQuestion.png (44.02 KiB) Viewed 556 times

boonier

Re: Group Evolution Management?

Postby boonier » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 am

If I understand correctly, you know groups only refer to the last saved version, be that from the group state when instantiating, or from its state in the saved layout file. They don't work like abstractions in Pd for example, where editing the template updates the abstractions where ever open.

Or is this something else?

NTO

Postby NTO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 am

boonier thanks for the reply. Still a recent beginner, I guess it's really I've come to realize
boonier wrote:...groups only refer to the last saved version, be that from the group state when instantiating, or from its state in the saved layout file. ...

So in sadness, I am to understand this then implies that even if I make the edits to re-establish the former naming(s), it will not propagate to the previous uses. :shock:

I must always redo any application of interest!
EDIT: Parameter links don't propagate to the re-save?! :?: :roll:

EDIT2: I am interested in anyone's procedures for effectively dealing with this. As I sit here now, it seems I must always drill down into existing groups in the application and then save button save my way back to the main...

EDIT3: "... and then save button save my way back to the main..."
That's no good. When working on a group, I press the save button, it saves the canvas as a patch file.
I decided to install a disk monitor, so at the end of the day I can know what happened!
Old free one - seems okay so far. Then backup the logs for 5 days! :lol:
http://venussoftcorporation.blogspot.co ... erspy.html
Last edited by NTO on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

boonier

Postby boonier » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 am

No but you can replace those in your layout with the updated versions of the group, either by doing a reinit, or replace with paste (which should...keep..settings?) don't hold me to that, should be in the manual!

Once you know how things work you end up building with it in mind. It's just different and has some benefits.

NTO

Postby NTO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am

boonier thanks again. I need to explore those mentioned "reinit, or replace with paste". (Sorry! Obnoxious learner :oops: :lol: )

boonier

Postby boonier » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 am

Obnoxious? not at all. It's confusing when things don't work as expected :)

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:23 pm

NTO wrote:I am interested in anyone's procedures for effectively dealing with this.

Good question. Bidule workflow made intuitive sense for me from the beginning, now it's so ingrained that it's difficult to pull it apart.

I don't find myself drilling down into groups, and doing a lot of saving, up a level, save, etc. That would drive me crazy. I do make tons of revisions to layouts as I go, and I use versioning only when the need arises, which is not very often.... workflow is some combination of keeping everything open in the layout board, organizing into groups on occasion (to save space or make a group gui), reInit-ing on occasion (esp. if I want to reindex for parameter linking -- that is, copy/paste, paste, paste, select multiple, reInit).

I do use a lot of groups (with subgroups) for organizing, with my own fairly extensive library (menu). I rely a lot on group gui's to stay organized, which might be why I have often been frustrated by Bidule's gui limits.

boonier

Postby boonier » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:38 pm

I tend to subgroup things, which makes connecting up quicker (using the cord shortcuts). Mapping lots of parameters can be tiresome, and a lot of clicking, but, I have found of late that having the code editor on standby is crucial, and even more of late - using something like Python to generate the code for me. It's far quicker ( when you know what you want) to script it, and undoubtable less prone to error.

I need to suss out how to map the parameters so it doesn't cause errors, but it should be fairly easy. It makes me think that having some kind of embedded interpreter with scripts could really make Bidule that more powerful, but in the meantime, the workflow I have works more than fine.

Having the option of abstraction groups would be useful, but only if they could accept arguments. Otherwise it would be pointless.

Return to “Bidule General”