Bidule VST/MultiClient MIDI Ports

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

ForestCat

Bidule VST/MultiClient MIDI Ports

Postby ForestCat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi, sorry for the vague subject.
MIDIYoke virtual ports are multi-client in windows, at least. IE, MIDIYOKE4, for example, can be shared/accessed by multiple apps. I can open two instances of Bidule standalone, and select MIDIYOKE4 as an input in both.

HOWEVER-

If I load Bidule as a VST in Ableton on two different tracks, Bidule will not allow me to select MIDIYOKE4 on both VST instances. It IS available from the dropdown, but it will not appear on the patchbay.

Is there any workaround for this? I want to use Bidule to work around Ableton's crappy MIDI routing and i/o limitations.

Thanks.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Bidule VST/MultiClient MIDI Ports

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 am

If I load Bidule as a VST in Ableton on two different tracks, Bidule will not allow me to select MIDIYOKE4 on both VST instances. It IS available from the dropdown, but it will not appear on the patchbay.

Is there any workaround for this? I want to use Bidule to work around Ableton's crappy MIDI routing and i/o limitations.

Multiple things are shared between instances of the same VST type, once a MIDI device is instantiated it's seen as being taken so that's why you
cannot add it to a second instance. I do have an item about this on my TODO list but in the meantime the only solution would be to mix
VST types (i.e. use the multi out version even if only 2 outputs are needed) IF the virtual MIDI ports can be instantiated multiple times within the same process.

ForestCat

Postby ForestCat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 pm

So, if I understand, this is related to the instance names of loaded VST's as seen by the host (Live)?
Would you consider providing a tool that would allow us to change the embedded instance name of any number of copies of the .dll we create in the VST fiolder?
So I have:
bidule1.dll
Bidule2.dll
bidule3.dll
etc., in my VST folder.

Just need a simple tool to make the VST name match the filesystem name.

Or, if you could give me the search criteria to find the name w/ a hex editor, I could probably do it myself if I knew what to change,

Thanks.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:26 am

So, if I understand, this is related to the instance names of loaded VST's as seen by the host (Live)?

Not the names but .dll files being separate/contained.

Would you consider providing a tool that would allow us to change the embedded instance name of any number of copies of the .dll we create in the VST fiolder?

I'd rather implement having multiple "users" of the same MIDI input/output device.

ForestCat

Postby ForestCat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:12 am

I'd rather implement having multiple "users" of the same MIDI input/output device.

Me too.

Return to “Bidule General”