Scaling to FRQ when sampleRates vary

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

CinningBao

Scaling to FRQ when sampleRates vary

Postby CinningBao » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:59 am

I wonder, has anyone built a patch where a knob/parameter is designed to control the FRQ of a thing, the nature of which changes depending on the current sample rate.

I would like to control the frequencies on Spectral "Frequency Gate" logarithmically, so I:

Integer Variable -> MIDI to Freq -> Parmod (linked to Frequency Gate upper bounds)

where the Parmod is scaled from 0->22050 (at 44.1), but if I switch to a different sample rate, the parmod scale is wrong, and the Integer value input is effectively incorrect.

Is this where Relative Parmod might be useful?

now I've written this out I feel like I solved this many years ago but cannot for the life of me figure out where, or when..

cheers :)

URM

Re: Scaling to FRQ when sampleRates vary

Postby URM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi CinningBao,

Haven't played with the relative PMs and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet so may not be sussing what you're trying to achieve, but would presets with different ranges for the different sample rates in the absolute PM and maybe the variable perhaps along with some logic to trigger the preset changes on sample change work?

Hope it helps.

Jamie

CinningBao

Postby CinningBao » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi Jamie,

Yes, I see what your saying :) And it makes sense! I hardly ever use presets like that but I'm willing to experiment. And from the outset, I can see how to configure it as well.

So I'll chug along with that and thank you for your excellent suggestion :)

Of course if it turns out not to work I'll be back here to openly berate your ideas from this point on ;)

cheers :)

URM

Postby URM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:26 pm

I've only been playing with presets a bit myself for the last year or so since I discovered how to hack a 1 then a 0 out of the gates by using a couple of presets so no guarantees if it'll work in this case, but seems like it should. Hope if nothing else it triggers a light bulb moment as there are likely other means to get to the same end in Bidule.

Feel free to berate, being a stereotypical Canadian, I'd be happy to say sorry. :wink:

CinningBao

Postby CinningBao » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 am

Well, quite frankly I'm furious! You come in here with your 'Canadian attitude', running your mouth off like you own the place..

I jest! Of course!

Nah, you forced me to think about the problem in a new way, so I did and had to hard-code a solution

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 20.26.23.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 20.26.23.jpg (222.88 KiB) Viewed 203 times

Pretty isn't it :)

SR goes through a chain of "IF=to" and switches the parameter range appropriately.
This stuff is only necessary, I suppose, for FFT things - I don't think standard oscillator/filter ranges change when SR changes.

Return to “Bidule General”