NON Standard VST Plugin Path on MacOS

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

taji

NON Standard VST Plugin Path on MacOS

Postby taji » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Is there a way to point to a external drive folder for my VST Plugins using Bidule on Mac OS? Reaper allows me to specify a folder under MacOS. I remember being able to do this on Windows, but the option isn't available in Bidule under MacOS. I also tried placing an alias to the external folder in ~/Library/Audio/Plugins/VST, but it didn't work. Looks like Ableton Live honors aliased folders.

Any ideas?
-taji

Credo

Re: NON Standard VST Plugin Path on MacOS

Postby Credo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:26 pm

I use NTFS file system junctions with Windows (mklink /J Link_name Link_target).

I.E. In my Bidule installation directory I have a VSTplugins directory, and Bidule is always set to scan that.
Inside are symbolic links to individual plugins, or directories containing sets of plugins I want Bidule to recognize. I can keep pointers to various removable/swap-able devices in play. If the external device is plugged in, it gets scanned, if not, the symbolic link points 'nowhere meaningful' so it does nothing, but the other links to the stuff on the system drive still get scanned.

I'm pretty sure you can do something similar on a Mac. Here's a link about making symbolic links on the Mac...
http://osxdaily.com/2015/08/06/make-sym ... -mac-os-x/

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 am

Use ln in Terminal, that should work. Aliases require extra code to be processed.

taji

Postby taji » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:54 am

Let me give it a try -- should have thought of that myself :). Stay tuned..,
-taji

Return to “Bidule General”