How to assign CC midi signal (generated by plugin) to Bidule mixer's fader(s) ?

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

c_voltage

How to assign CC midi signal (generated by plugin) to Bidule mixer's fader(s) ?

Postby c_voltage » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi folks.
It is possible to assign CC midi signal which generate by any midi plugin (Sugarbytes Thesys for example) to Bidule's Mixer fader ? (Bidule's factory modules from Mixing category, stereo or mono, no matter).

I guess it's easy would be to do if Mixers has midi-input, but they not have.

So, how to do it ?

(Yes, i tried through Parameters>Link, but not found here such ability. Or i misunderstood something)

URM

Re: How to assign CC midi signal (generated by plugin) to Bidule mixer's fader(s) ?

Postby URM » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi c_voltage,

CC to parameters should work - you can find it in Midi > Modulation > CC to parameters

Connect the midi of your midi device with the incoming CCs to the midi in of a CC to parameters bidule and then parameter link the appropriate CC#s from the CC to parameters to the mixer volume(s) you want to control.

The CC to parameters bidule allows you to parameter link any incoming CC#s on any of the available 16 midi channels to pretty much anything in Bidule.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

c_voltage

Re: How to assign CC midi signal (generated by plugin) to Bidule mixer's fader(s) ?

Postby c_voltage » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Oh damn, URM thank you :) Works !

c_voltage

Postby c_voltage » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Ok 8)

The next task - need transmit this generated CC signal from plugin (placed inside Bidule), to DAW (i use Studio One 3 for example).
So, what should be my actions:

1) I load Bidule pligin in DAW (as instrument or FX, no matter)
2) Load Thesys inside Bidule (and start modulate CC 52 for example), and again, add cc_to_params to Thesys midi output.

Now, what we should do in Parameters linking screen in Bidule:

3) Source: CC_to_params\CC_052 to Target: Bidule Plugin\Parameter 1
4) Select and add in DAW to automation track PlogueBiduleVSTi\Param001

But it's not start modulate param001 in DAW by some reason, what wrong ?

BUT (!), it's start modulate (param001) in DAW, if i add for example Mixer inside Bidule, and add in Bidule Parameters linking screen next binding:

Source: Bidule Plugin\Parameter1 to Target: Stereo Mixer4_0 [Volume Channel 1] (just for example)

And if we unlink one of these two bindings, Param001 stops modulate inside DAW.

I can not understand the logic, help :mrgreen:

At least need to understand - why param001 starts modulate in DAW only after i add Mixer module in bidule and connect modulate to one of Mixer parameters. What's the relation?

URM

Postby URM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Not sure as I rarely use the Bidule plugin, but it seems like you've got the linking logic correct.

My guess would be that by adding the mixer, Bidule starts pulling audio which is maybe needed for audio and midi transmission to your DAW or maybe there just needs to be something linked like the mixer in Bidule for the parameter linking logic to work.

Sorry can't be more help, but good to hear that the cc to prameters is (sort of) working out for you.

c_voltage

Postby c_voltage » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Ok URM thanks anyway, will try dig more into this.

NTO

Postby NTO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Sorry if I mis-understand the objective here.
The first question was about modulating a mixer in the VST. The second had the mixer as 'added trouble-shooting item'.

If you only want to route the modulation, it can be done directly via the Bidula VSTi midi to host.
This example is modulating the level of the Korg M1 channel 1 w/CC52. (requires Flash Player to view - can't post the video here AFIK)
https://www.screencast.com/t/qmKSoNS9Nsu

EDIT: I hooked Thesys audio pins across to the Bidule VSTi after this, and that is (also) playing the pattern through the DAW mixer...
Of course, I could use the Thesys output CC to modulate the DAW mixer...
If you don't want to go the Flash route, this pic is all I'm doing...
2017-10-25_BidulleVSTi_Thesys.png
2017-10-25_BidulleVSTi_Thesys.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 242 times

c_voltage

Postby c_voltage » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi NTO, sorry, but no, i knew how to transmit cc signal directly from Thesys (placed inside bidule) to daw. That what you show in your example.

My both questions meant exactly what I was asking.

So, the solution to my first question from this thread i geted.

Then, in second question I did not meant the desire to solve any practical problem (such as my question from other forum about ability to modulate DAW mixer faders through cc signal from plugin - because i already figured that it's impossible, in Studio One at least, so this question was closed for me). Second question was just attempt to understand logic of routing\linking in bidule.

let's say, here i just put an abstract task (just a thought) - how to transmit cc signal from Thesys through bidule automation Parameter (param001) to DAW, or rather - why it's not want to works through single binding (link) which i described above.

It's all.

But, since you mention about my other thread (i guess), and say:
NTO wrote:Of course, I could use the Thesys output CC to modulate the DAW mixer...

Can you explain step by step - how to do that trick with Studio One 3 mixer faders ? Please.
As well short video example of such scheme in working view would be also useful.

NTO

Postby NTO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Hello c_voltage,
Sorry to miss your points. I am glad to have downloaded the demo of Thesys though! :lol:

I don't see how the Bidule parameter mod can ever reach outside the VSTi, other than through a Bidule component, i.e., a mixer where it modulates the output audio, or a 'creator' (CC ) where it modulates an output midi control.

I don't use Studio One. In FL Studio, I just 'link to controller' for the CC, to the fader control (midi routing is a hassle there though, may need a virtual loopback).
Total noob on Thesys, but here's first attempt
EDIT: Yes, I'm using a virtual loopback. That might work for Studio one if you can't do direct control.
Deleted previous file next day. Liking the plug. Here's a little better demo.
https://www.screencast.com/t/m9uSsth8z2iE

c_voltage

Postby c_voltage » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am

NTO wrote:I'm using a virtual loopback

Yes, it's exactly as i expected ) Well, such tool it's can say the emulation of the part of hardware, thus, really it should works. But no, i meant exactly via DAW only abilities 8).

Return to “Bidule General”