Open and close files with Bidule

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

manofra

Open and close files with Bidule

Postby manofra » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 am

Hi everyone,

Hope this post is not in the wrong section. If it is, feel free to move it.

I own this little app called OnStage that opens and closes entire files in either Logic Pro or Ableton Live upon receiving a program change message. Users assign a file to a certain PC message, then upon receiving it, the app tells the DAW to close whatever file is loaded and open the file you have assigned. That way, you create your setlist in that app and run it alongside your DAW. By setting a specifi midi channel for PC messages, it command the DAW to open and close files.

The developer discontinued my version and released a newer one, but offers NO upgrade pricing. I find that policy very unfair, and was wondering what it takes to build one such Bidule -- that is, how could I convert a certain MIDI message into a command for Mac OS? The AppleScript command to do that is relatively simple, as per the threads below:

https://fmforums.com/topic/70062-use-ap ... open-file/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/us ... am.882578/

I am not that good a programmer and am lost as to where shoud I start from. Any hints are welcome.

The version I own is this one:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37507/onstage

The latest version is in this video :

http://fluqe.com/?page_id=8067

It now costs 10 times what I originally paid, and more than what I've paid for my Bidule licence. Quite frankly it does 1% of what a beginner user like me gets from Plogue Bidule. So it's not worth that much money.

I have been away from live performance for the past 7 years, but hoping to get back next year. I did some searching and could not find anything in the forum about this. If Bidule already has such capabilities, please forgive me. You may chalk it up on myself being away from it since 2014.

Thanks for your inputs.

NTO

Re: Open and close files with Bidule

Postby NTO » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:22 am

Maybe build your set list in a BiduleValueList, and sequence through that w/PC's. Bidule does the file op's.
Starter concept here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8052

EDIT: If off base, sorry. I assumed you were talking midi files, but now see that's not stated. Are you talking 'project' files of those apps?

manofra

Postby manofra » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 am

Hi NTO and all,

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I meant the project files in Ableton Live. I will explore your concept further and see if I can pass a PC message from BiduleValueList into Ableton Live. If I'm successful, I'll post back results and bgrp's.

ManoFra

NTO

Postby NTO » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 am

Hi ManoFra,
Sending the PC to any midi receiver should be easy. Getting a given app to change the loaded project is what that 'expensive app' was for. Not a Mac user, but Apple script can probably do that directly by a change detection > command to Finder...
Here's a manual PC from value list (of random choices) example. Put your midi out in place of the loopMIDI port. Note, triggering a change in the value list position will cause a PC out creation. The 'Send PC Trigger' is only needed the first time.
2017-11-09_Bidule_Values2PC.png
2017-11-09_Bidule_Values2PC.png (31.15 KiB) Viewed 159 times

9Nov_ManualValues2PC.bidule
(11.72 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

manofra

Postby manofra » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 am

Hi NTO,

Thanks so much! I will see how that can be implemented in AppleScript. The script itself is easy, but there must be some "object" in Mac OS midi chain so send/and receive signals. And I think Bidule is just perfect for that.

As soon as I have something concrete to show, I will post back and share the "app" with other Mac Users.

Thanks again,

MF

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 pm

I _think_ there could be a way to do this using OSC. If so, that would keep it all inside Bidule, no applescript necessary.

Edit: I just saw that you want to open Ableton Live project files -- nevermind, I was only thinking .bidule files.

Return to “Bidule General”