Relative midi parameters

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

Montoto

Relative midi parameters

Postby Montoto » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi guys! I have a question for you midi men and women! I havent been able to solve it myself and I am hoping that one of you can lead me to a workaround.

I have an analog console, a D&R Cinemix with fader motorized automation that I control inside of Logic Pro via a plugin developed by GSI. I host the 32 bit vst plugin (no au version) inside of Plogue Bidule and it runs on 64 bit via 32 lives. Apparently it works with midi messages. With a midiman interface connected to the console. It does run smoothly. I am happy with this workaround.

The thing is I use four buses of the console as my main buses, and I like them to be prefectly aligned between left and right channels. To do so, instead of moving them with my hand, I control those faders from a Novation Nocturn that I have, and assign the parameters inside Plogue Bidule to have one knob of the Nocturn control left and right bus 1, and so on. So when I move the knob the faders move perfecty stereo matched. This works well.

I am trying to achieve having one of the Nocturns infinite knobs to control the relative values of the four main buses at once. So when I move the knob, the eight mono faders of the buses move simultaneously, but respecting their relative volumes. If bus A is at zero db, and bus B is at -10db i want to keep that relationship between them. For now all I have managed to do is to have one knob controlling the four buses, but as soon as I move it they all go to the same absolute position. I want to be able to move them up and down simultaneously to hit the main stereo bus harder or softer with one knob but changing only their relative values.

Anyone knows how I could achieve this?!! I have tried from automap too, by selecting increment decrement value from those Nocturn knobs. The assignment doesnt work.

I have fiddled around with Bidule too and I know there must be a way to do it, but I just can figure it out

Thanks so much and kindest regards from Madrid.

Diego.

DaveDraper

Re: Relative midi parameters

Postby DaveDraper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 am

Without knowing how you actually go about routing/controlling values in bidule, or implementing MIDI from parameter values, a 'Parameter Modulator (Relative)' springs to mind as a possibility. Having said that, I've only used the absolute parameter modulator myself, and that a bit of fiddling to get the modulator ranges AND the modulated range right; I'd guess the same detailed attention would apply to the relative version (or versions if you need several of them).
Am I heading in the right direstion at all?
Dave Draper

DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:12 am

edit: ......the absolute parameter modulator myself, and that ..NEEDS....a bit of fiddling..........
Dave

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:31 pm

I agree -- try relative parameter modulation, maybe as simple as linking one rel mod to many params. Rel mod in Bidule works by sending a +/- increment. Building it could take a few building blocks. What does your midi data look like, for ex. in a Bidule midi monitor?

I have had some success converting midi to trigger an increment value for the (outgoing) rel param mod. A useful bidule in this case would be (Building Blocks > Math >) Change. It can tell you if your midi knob is incrementing or decrementing by comparing current/previous sample and outputting 1 for positive increment, -1 for negative, 0 for no change (which you can then multiply by some increment value to send to rel mod). Hope this makes sense.

For example, say your knob is a midi CC. In this case, use a Building Blocks > MIDI > CC Extractor, connect second output to a Change. Multiply by some increment value (using a Constant bidule, for example). If you are using dB, not sure in your case, you might need to convert to linear (using for ex., the Unit Converter) before you connect to a rel mod.

Montoto

Postby Montoto » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks a lot guys! I´ve already fiddled around with the relative parameter modulator with no luck. But I will follow your tips and report back!! Thanks a lot again.

KR.

Diego.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi Diego -- willing to help, what does your controller send to Bidule (using one of Bidule's midi monitors)?

Return to “Bidule General”