Using on Mac with GarageBand

Post your Alter/Ego questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Mimsy

Using on Mac with GarageBand

Postby Mimsy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm trying to use this with GarageBand on my Mac and it seems like I'm supposed to be using a plugin that is run through my AU options on GarageBand. I can't find where this plug in is located though, I've checked the download page and have failed to find an Alter/Ego plug in. I have the app for mac that is listed downloaded and installed. I have Bone up and ready to go, but I can't get GarageBand to actually use the program. Has anyone set this up? Am I overlooking something simple? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Using on Mac with GarageBand

Postby seb@plogue » Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 am

The AU plugin is part of the installer so it should already be on your machine.
If you have never used AUs withing GarageBand, this might help:
http://wherearemyplugins.wikia.com/wiki/Inserting_Plugin_Instruments_in_GarageBand

Mimsy

Postby Mimsy » Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 am

Thank you! That link did help me find what I was looking for. The menus have moved in more recent versions of GarageBand, but your post did help me find the AlterEgo plugin an select it.

But when I did select and had my midi controller plugged in, with alter ego open, bones loaded, and some text ready to go. I started pressing the keys but no sound is being produced. I double checked under another plugin to make sure it wasn't my controller and standard piano worked fine. Tried switching back to AlterEgo and pressed the keys again, again: nothing. Is there another step that I am missing here that you can think of?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Mimsy wrote:But when I did select and had my midi controller plugged in, with alter ego open, bones loaded, and some text ready to go. I started pressing the keys but no sound is being produced. I double checked under another plugin to make sure it wasn't my controller and standard piano worked fine. Tried switching back to AlterEgo and pressed the keys again, again: nothing. Is there another step that I am missing here that you can think of?

Hi,

The way you describe it, it should work. I just checked with GarageBand 10.1.5 and could play using the Musical Typing. It should behave like any other instrument as long as there is a VoiceBank loaded... There must be something we miss here.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Mimsy

Postby Mimsy » Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 pm

Ugh! I'm an idiot. I was using the OLD version of GarageBand. Went ahead and got the newest version and got it running no problem. Thanks for helping me get my head straight here guys. Looking forward to playing around with this!

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 am

Glad you got this sorted out. Enjoy!
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Return to “Alter/Ego”