C64 SID shootout - 6581 vs. 8580

This is the place where you can show the world the music did with Plogue Art et Technologie softwares.
Post links to your music, albums, projects, etc.

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

strayboom

C64 SID shootout - 6581 vs. 8580

Postby strayboom » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:41 am

Well, it's not really a Plogue product related topic but I thought it might be interesting to you guys.

I got my hands on 5 different Commodore 64 SID revisions (6581 R2 R3 R4 R4AR and 8580 R5) so it seemed obvious that a comparison would be a good idea. So I did it.

Started with a track that has been composed on a 6581 SID, recorded it with all the 5 different chips and wrote a post about the procedure. Then I thought it would be fair to do the same thing with a 8580 track and record it through all 6581's as well.

The result is a 3 part article with audio examples, waveform screenshots, some additional information and conclusion. Bring some cold beer, chips, etc. and follow these links:

SID shootout Part 1.
SID shootout Part 2.
SID shootout Part 3.

I've chose nice demoscene music instead of well-known game soundtrack because these ones are great to listen to and also show serious sound design skills, sometimes I felt the SID was crying while producing the audio.

Enjoy.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: C64 SID shootout - 6581 vs. 8580

Postby davidv » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 am

Much appreciated (and yes I saw that in Facebook first). There are so many factors influencing the sound of psid files across chips and PCB revisions, part of the world you are in, etc. In chipsounds 2 we try to add a much tweakbility as possible in the SID configuration.

Since I got like 50 sids of various sources and states it makes for a quite interesting statistical sample :)
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Return to “Plogue Music”