Looking for Bidule groups (bgrp) maintainer(s)

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

sondod

Postby sondod » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Hey seb,

We're wondering how you feel about changing the structure of bgrp's to include an email and description. the description would be held as a CDATA node.

mdk

Postby mdk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:30 am

more accurately you would probably use a 'description' node with the text inside a CDATA block.

also one other thing that would be great is some kind of comment -> tooltip system like reaktor / synthmaker.
In synthmaker there is a specific 'tooltip help' module with a text input where the first line of the text is the tooltip title and the rest is the description.
In reaktor each item has an 'info' section in its properties for setting the tooltip

how you implement it is up to you but once its there then we can use the same data to generate the group description in the catalog. :)

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:52 am

If you look at the Bidule.xsd there is already an unused Annotation tag.

Code: Select all

<xs:complexType name="AnnotationType">
      <xs:simpleContent>
         <xs:extension base="xs:string">
            <xs:attribute name="author" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
            <xs:attribute name="date" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
            <xs:attribute name="biduleVersion" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
         </xs:extension>
      </xs:simpleContent>
   </xs:complexType>

The description could go in there, the only thing missing would be the email but then again there is already an author attribute in BiduleGroup
so maybe the email could be put in there.

aMUSEd

Postby aMUSEd » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:53 am

Is this working yet - I tried the "get remote catalog" thing and it just said something about failing to parse link?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:32 am

tried the "get remote catalog" thing and it just said something about failing to parse link?

d'oh! looks like I forgot to do the work on the server so that the 0.96 catalog link works...

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:46 pm

sondod

Postby sondod » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:00 am

Man I gotta be honest. I got over excited. Like I really wanted to do this. Then the new baby came. Then the move came. Then the computer's crashed. Then none of the programs worked. Then work got insane. Then music got insaner. Now I feel like such a slacker for having to say I don't know when I'm going to have the time to get to it. But give it a few months the need may still be there and the time may be more readily available.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:59 am

sondod wrote:Man I gotta be honest. I got over excited. Like I really wanted to do this. Then the new baby came. Then the move came. Then the computer's crashed. Then none of the programs worked. Then work got insane. Then music got insaner. Now I feel like such a slacker for having to say I don't know when I'm going to have the time to get to it. But give it a few months the need may still be there and the time may be more readily available.

In the meantime... (congratulations!!! some serious life changes over there...) ...I have a simple system with a spreadsheet and a word macro that works for the Group Manager. Let's focus on content! Please consider contributing some of your excellent .bgrps.

sondod

Postby sondod » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 am

Anyone ever try to use github for bidule groups. Figure it may be a nice way to collaborate with versioning before things go into the catalog.

sondod

Postby sondod » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am

Well I tested github. And it takes .bgrp files well. I'm thinking of using it pretty extensively for a collection of groups. But my thought was that if there was a git repository for the official repository, it could be a way for users to collaborate between versions and push finals. Not sure all that would entail, but worth the thought.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 am

My intention was to do a 2009 update for groups-- there are a good handful of new ones. but i lost a storage hard drive last year (long story) and since then i haven't been able to find my master spreadsheet for the bidule groups listed in the last update. ( i did the xml using excel and scripting to generate-- yikes!)

so, any push in the general direction would be welcome. as long as users could use the Group Manager to update, right? also, what about the permanence issue with github? how would Seb be able to keep it simple and local?

sondod

Postby sondod » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:47 am

jersmi wrote:My intention was to do a 2009 update for groups-- there are a good handful of new ones. but i lost a storage hard drive last year (long story) and since then i haven't been able to find my master spreadsheet for the bidule groups listed in the last update. ( i did the xml using excel and scripting to generate-- yikes!)

so, any push in the general direction would be welcome. as long as users could use the Group Manager to update, right? also, what about the permanence issue with github? how would Seb be able to keep it simple and local?

Well I think as a solution it would definitely solve your first issue. Those involved in group creation would create their own repositories at github. From there they could regularly update their groups as they evolved. They would be publicly available for others to add input, or alternately private repositories (though that is a paid service).

If seb and the guys set up an official bidule repository for groups. As people felt their groups were near completion they would only have to push them from the personal repositories to the public one. From that point I think seb could probably set up a script call which pulled any new groups from the official repository and added them to the group manager. This could probably even be automated on a weekly or other increment basis.

Not everyone would have to sign up for git, normal users would simply get whatever updates came through the group manager. Bit those wearing a more 'developmental' hat would be able to easily share with the whole community, and additionally have a look at what others are doing.

The more I think about it the better it sounds. Like I said I'm going to test it out with the group library I'm going to be releasing. It would really take seb et al looking into it to see if it would work connecting directly to the group manager. But I have a feeling it will.

rastacracktemple

Postby rastacracktemple » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 am

I there, I'm very new to Bidule and I'm a little confused, I'm going to the tools-get remote catalogue and in remote I can see autowah, rebuilder 2 etc but when I click to download each one it comes up with: QUESTION and I can't download them... any advice would be amazing as I'll love to have a fiddle about with rebuilder 2.
All the best,
Max

Return to “Bidule Layouts”