Looking for Bidule groups (bgrp) maintainer(s)

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:49 am

I think in a first time one the task could be to gather up the different groups/layouts posted in the forums and see if there are useful enough. Then contact the authors of those to ask permission to put them in the online catalog. Make sure authors and displayName are fine, edit them if necessary, make sure the groups don't reference media files/plugins.

Then the catalog file would need to be updated (I can send info when we get there), ideally you should have your own webspace so you can test the catalog index file and downloads are working fine and once all of this is done, send a nice archive file so we only need to put it on the web server.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:49 pm

Well, well, easy enough. I'll do some gathering and get back to you. :)

chapelierfou

Postby chapelierfou » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:19 am

Thank you, jersmi! :P

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:50 am

So, Bidulistas, what should the Group Manager Remote Catalog stand for? A "best of" bidule groups? A catch-all archive? A convenient place to share works in progress? None of the above?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:09 am

I will have time to work on this end of July into August. :)

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:55 pm

The current news on the Group Manager Remote Catalog project:

A couple months back i volunteered to help bring the Group Manager Remote Catalog feature up to date. In the middle there somewhere, with a healthy amount of .bgrps piling up, mdk stepped up and has dedicated a chunk of time and energy building what could be a very useful application for managing Bidule group files (and generating a catalog.xml file). mdk used Adobe AIR to create the app.

At this point, mdk has made the project open source and created a page on google code:

http://code.google.com/p/bidule-group-manager/

This app is not quite functioning safely yet-- beware, it can do nasty things to your group files (like make them disappear...).

Devs/coders: asking for help/advice/debugging in developing this app to a functional stage. it is well on the way... :)

Plogue HQ, any thoughts?

sondod

Postby sondod » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:56 am

i may be able to lend a hand in this. but let me get back to ya.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 pm

sondod wrote:i may be able to lend a hand in this. but let me get back to ya.
awesome. :)

sondod

Postby sondod » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:42 pm

so what exactly is the need. when i open it up it can scan locally and find bgrps. but i don't see how its connecting to a server. is that the issue. also is this being built in flex or flash for air compiling?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:27 am

sondod wrote:so what exactly is the need. when i open it up it can scan locally and find bgrps. but i don't see how its connecting to a server. is that the issue. also is this being built in flex or flash for air compiling?

need is debugging mostly. it is not stable. then adding features. flex/flash, not sure-- mdk programmed it. i do get errors re: flash, so maybe flash?

it is not designed to connect to a server. it is designed to scan the bidule groups folder on the user's computer and allow organizing, then generate a catalog.xml file. the group manager remote catalog essentially is this catalog.xml file. users would access .bgrp files listed in the catalog.xml file. the catalog.xml file would be located on the server where the remote catalog .bgrps would be.

you can create/test your own catalog.xml file by designating the location of the catalog file within the group manager in bidule. the catalog file and any groups listed in it can be stored on a server or should be able to designate location on your computer (file:// instead of http://).

the program was created in response to making and maintaining the remote catalog, but when the app started to take shape i think mdk saw the potential for something bidule users could use to help organize their own groups.

hope i got my facts straight...

mdk

Postby mdk » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:50 am

thats pretty much right.

Its using the flex framework, I put it together in flex builder 3 beta. Although im not entirely happy with the flex ui components, particularly the tree, or it could be im not familiar enough with them :)

So at the moment you can scan your groups then edit the various bits of data required for creating an online catalog.

I need to write some docs at some point, but one 'feature' worth knowing about is how to add descriptions and contact details to your group.

If you use a 'comment' module with a name of README, that will appear as the group description in the catalog. If the module doesnt exist and you add a description in the manager app, it will add the module for you.
The catalog also requires an email address for the creator, so to add that you just add a seperate line at the end of the comment with

and that should be it.

As jersmi says, even if you dont want to generate a catalog you can still use it to organise your own groups via the tree control on the right.
This shows you how the groups appear in the bidule palette and you can move groups around, create new folders etc..

At the moment its just a basic proof of concept, it works, but it might damage your data so always keep backups. I dont get a lot of free time for fun stuff like this so any help is appreciated..bug reports, suggestions..of course more coders would be great :)

sondod

Postby sondod » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:49 am

i'm still a bit confused. i understand its use for organizing your own bgrps. I'm just trying to figure out how those catalogs get shared. Does each user host their bgrps individually, or is there a central repository? Is there server space to hold the bgrps? I'm more flash than flex but wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty. And my specialty is around data connections so, if there's a server available I may be able to help out centralizing anything. mdk is there a place to grab the source files?

mdk

Postby mdk » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:03 am

yeah, i created a project on the google code site here :

http://code.google.com/p/bidule-group-manager/

to get the source you'll have to use SVN. Unfortunately i dont have time to give a full howto on using SVN, but basically I use the FlexBuilder 3 Beta (which i hope is getting updated soon as its due to expire) and the Subclipse plugin from tigris (you can also get the 'normal' TortoiseSVN for windows from them)

this is FB3 :

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder3/

this is subclipse :

http://subclipse.tigris.org/

In FB3 you go Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install

Then in the dialog hit Next to 'Search for new features to install'

Then 'New Remote Site', give it a name 'Subclipse' and paste in the update url from tigris :

http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.2.x

that should install the plugin, and when you restart FB you can add the SVN repository from google.

You go Window -> Perspective -> Open Other -> SVN Repository Exploring

Then hit the 'Add SVN repository button near the top

enter the url :

http://bidule-group-manager.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

now, expand that node in the tree and you should see a 'BiduleCatalogManager' folder. Right click that and select 'Checkout'
Then in the dialog make sure its got 'Check out as a project in the workspace' and hit 'Finish'.

thats it. you've got the code and you should be able to run the app.

I mainly do flash programming as well for my normal work, but I thought this would be a good opporunity to learn flex and get more used to AS3. AS3 isnt too different to AS2 so if you have done AS2 programming you'll be ok.

anyway, let me know how you get on, i'll try and help out as much as I can.

mdk

Postby mdk » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:07 am

oh, and the other question about these catalogs, basically they need to be hosted somewhere (the catalog file and all the groups). I've got my own host so im happy to host them.

Eventually id like the app to handle all that stuff automatically, uploading / downloading groups to the server etc,

the actual server side stuff wouldnt take long to implement, its just a simple file handling system, of course to work with the app it would be best to have a remoting interface so either php with amfphp or ruby on rails with weborb

http://www.themidnightcoders.com/weborb/rubyonrails/

would be the best bet.

i quite fancy RoR with weborb as its something else i want to learn, at the moment i use CakePHP with the CakeAMFPHP extension for my AS2 apps so im happy to go that way as well.. :)

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:12 pm

sondod wrote:i'm still a bit confused. i understand its use for organizing your own bgrps. I'm just trying to figure out how those catalogs get shared. Does each user host their bgrps individually, or is there a central repository? Is there server space to hold the bgrps?

just to be on the same page here, this project started because i volunteered to gather groups for the Group Manager Remote Catalog, as part of the Group Manager located under Tools in bidule. in the Group Manager there are 2 buttons, Get Remote Catalog and Set Remote Catalog. The Get Remote Catalog button accesses the existing catalog file located on Plogue's server. The Set Remote Catalog button allows users to change the location of the catalog file, if, for ex., a user wishes to have his own catalog, i guess. It also allows testing of this feature-- i.e., a catalog.xml file and .bgrp's can be uploaded to a server (or Seb says you can tell it where it is on your computer using file://<>, but this did not work for me when i tried it...). Then the catlog file + groups can be tested using Set Remote Catalog/Get Remote Catalog to let bidule know where to look. if the Set Remote Catalog is left blank, it defaults to Plogue's server. Plogue will host the central repository for the Remote Catalog. .brgp's are small, anyway.

this project began with the hope of getting this feature up and running within bidule so we all have a library of groups we view and download. in the process of gathering .bgrp's i contacted mdk to ask him permission to use some of his .bgrps, from his tutorials, etc. he came back with the extra super generous offer to make this program, which could help all f us. he has mentioned to me Reaktor's user library and how deep it is as a point of reference.

my first priority has been to get all the .bgrps gathered, organized and a catalog file generated for use with the pre-existing feature in bidule, as i have discussed with Seb. this part has not happened yet. now, even though the app is not yet working and i wish i could just finish Part 1 of the project, the thought of going back and picking up where i left off, trying to organize the .bgrp's and copy/paste/type the catalog file one entry at a time seems ridiculous with all this going on... mdk gave me a taste of what it could be like! :)

but i am not a programmer, so all the stuff about Ruby Flashing and Flexing her AS3 is lost on this one...

i am unclear on how mdk's Bidule Group Manager app will couple with bidule's pre-existing Group Manager feature... mdk?
Last edited by jersmi on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bidule Layouts”