Midi Transposer with 2nd midi in for control?

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

richardgenno

Midi Transposer with 2nd midi in for control?

Postby richardgenno » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:57 am

Loving Plogue so far, amazing what you can get it to do. Currently working with Expert Sleepers Silent Way and thesys to run sequences that can be transposed by one key by summing together CV signals before sending out the interface. Marvellous!

What I'm trying to do is work out how I can make a midi transposer that does the same , that follows the synth key i press over midi. Imagine i've played an octave bassline on a VST sequencer going out my midi interface to a synth , i'd like to be able to press a key eg D on a second keyboard coming in via midi and this would transpose the sequence up a tone, E and it goes up two tones etc so with one key i can transpose and already running sequence. Any ideas on how to implement this? the midi transpose was my first port of call but i can't seem to figure it out.

thanks in advance!

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Midi Transposer with 2nd midi in for control?

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:53 pm

If you want monophonic you could use MIDI Note Extractor to get the frequency value and add/substract from it according
to the other key. If you want polyphonic, your best bet is probably to set up parameter linking with a Note transposer

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:37 am

Here's something.
Attachments
MidiKey2Transpose.bgrp
(17.77 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

richardgenno

Postby richardgenno » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 am

thanks for the tips, and jersmi thanks for the link, just what i was looking for!

tmpc

Postby tmpc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:14 pm

seb@plogue wrote:If you want monophonic you could use MIDI Note Extractor to get the frequency value and add/substract from it according
to the other key. If you want polyphonic, your best bet is probably to set up parameter linking with a Note transposer

Hello,

So far, I've been able to accomplish what I need to in Bidule without having to delve into the world of parameter linking. Well, that's over. I need a patch to transpose a range of MIDI notes to a different range, controlled by another MIDI note. I tried downloading the MIDIKey2Transpose group from a post in this thread, but can't get it to work; I can see the one input set the transpose range, but nothing comes out of it.

It would be great to solve the MIDIKey2Transpose problem, but there is actually a bigger problem: It seems like there aren't any sources online that actually explain how this whole parameter linking / control world works in Bidule. I opened up the MIDIKey2Transpose group to have a look see, but I haven't got a clue what is going on in there. I have found a few video tutorials online, but they assume a level of knowledge concerning this subject that I don't have. Is this information available anywhere? Very frustrating.

Thanks,
Tom

UPDATE: I managed to get it to work by Control clicking on MIDIKey2Transpose and hitting REINIT. I don't know why that fixed it, but it did. I can close Bidule, re-launch it, and MIDIKey2Transpose works fine. Will that always be the case? Beats me; I don't have a clue what is going on. :?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Since ReInit worked, that means you downloaded the group and first saved it using right click Group > Save selected group. Is that right? As you would think, ReInit simply reinitializes a module or group from the built-in/saved version.

If there are parameter links, they should always be saved with a layout. If that doesn't happen there is a bug (and unfortunately there are bugs from time to time with this feature).

Parameter linking happens in the Parameters window. That's where you can manually create links (unless you use Midi Learn -- then a link is created automatically without having to open the Parameters window). Source->target links show up in the list at the bottom.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Here's a demo of basic parameter linking practices. It covers a couple points of confusion you might encounter when starting out, as well as a method for triggering presets with a midi note.
Attachments
param_linking_demo.bgrp
(55.18 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

tmpc

Postby tmpc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:06 pm

jersmi wrote:Since ReInit worked, that means you downloaded the group and first saved it using right click Group > Save selected group. Is that right? As you would think, ReInit simply reinitializes a module or group from the built-in/saved version.

If there are parameter links, they should always be saved with a layout. If that doesn't happen there is a bug (and unfortunately there are bugs from time to time with this feature).

Parameter linking happens in the Parameters window. That's where you can manually create links (unless you use Midi Learn -- then a link is created automatically without having to open the Parameters window). Source->target links show up in the list at the bottom.

Hi jersmi,

I simply downloaded it and stuck it in the Bidule Group folder in the hidden library (I'm using a Mac running OS 10.8.5).

So, if I save this in a layout, I won't have to ReInit? That seems to be the case, so far.

The thing I don't get about parameter linking reminds me of the old thermos joke; How do it know? How does this list of different things know how to talk to each other? Aren't there data format and polarity issues to be dealt with?

Thanks for getting back to me.
Tom

tmpc

Postby tmpc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:26 pm

jersmi wrote:Here's a demo of basic parameter linking practices. It covers a couple points of confusion you might encounter when starting out, as well as a method for triggering presets with a midi note.

Hello again,

I downloaded the parameter linking demo and opened it up in Bidule . . . I wasn't sure what to do with it at first. So, I expanded it, and there it all is. I'll look this over tomorrow and will get back to you with any questions I have (I'm sure I'll have some).

Thanks very much for sending this and taking the time to help me out.

Tom

Return to “Bidule Layouts”