Discrete Building Blocks

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

dts350z

Discrete Building Blocks

Postby dts350z » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:26 pm

I started this as a response to other threads here, and never finished my discrete counter, so thought I should post what I have so far.

Discrete Trigger 2
Discrete Gate
Discrete Sample and Hold
Discrete Logic Gate
Discrete Logic Gate for Audio
Discrete Output Selector
Discrete Input Selector

Feel free to post additions/better versions in this thread.

Cheers,
Z
Attachments
Discrete Building Blocks part 1.bidule
(110.68 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

DaveDraper

Re: Discrete Building Blocks

Postby DaveDraper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Oh wow! Thank you - you have been busy! Looks like I shall be too for the next few days (weeks?)!

Dave

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:51 pm

They look so simple. :-) Thanks again, these have been helpful.

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Here's a random number generator, but it's just the audio noise trigger as discussed in one of the other threads.

I don't see anything wrong with this approach (leaving the "randomness" mathematics argument aside). Its got low DSP and only emits a number when triggered (audio OR discrete). If wanting to trigger with discrete, use my "discrete trigger 2" or a similar signal.

discrete random number generator.bidule
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:54 am

Reassuring.

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:21 pm

boonier's idea for a discrete random number generator.

(I wish variable's min max were parameters!)

Discrete Random Number Generator 2.bidule
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Either the native discrete trigger or my "discrete trigger 2" can be used to trigger this.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:05 pm

clever workaround!

boonier

Postby boonier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:29 am

dts350z wrote:I started this as a response to other threads here, and never finished my discrete counter, so thought I should post what I have so far.

Discrete Trigger 2
Discrete Gate
Discrete Sample and Hold
Discrete Logic Gate
Discrete Logic Gate for Audio
Discrete Output Selector
Discrete Input Selector

Feel free to post additions/better versions in this thread.

Cheers,
Z

ooo nice thanks!

boonier

Postby boonier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:48 am

I smell a wiki here...

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 am

I have a count or down counter, with a run gate, and a reverse gate, samples to increment at and reset inputs, however it's kind of lame in that if you change the upper limit you have to press a button to tell it to recalculate the maximum value internally, and if you are in reverse mode it won't count until upper limit of counts is reached.

Also it doesn't loop back and forth.

At this point i'm thinking it might be better to start over building an accumulator to use at the core vs. the native counter.

Again, wishing that bidules with min and max inputs in the UI only had parameters for the same, in this case, the discrete counter bidule.

Also (again) wishing the sdk was updated to support discrete, so we could roll our own.

Anyway, If folks are interested I can post what I have so far.

boonier

Postby boonier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:02 am

dts350z wrote:Again, wishing that bidules with min and max inputs in the UI only had parameters for the same, in this case, the discrete counter bidule.

I agree, come up against this before. Would presets work here? I generally never use Counter, preferring to roll my own using Accum.

Also (again) wishing the sdk was updated to support discrete, so we could roll our own.

Would you have the chops to build the list above?...Seb is probably on it now ;)

Cheers

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:15 pm

The problem with presets is that you can plan in advance to have a preset for any possible scenario someone might want.

I've built several plugins using the SDK, and have global users using them (thousands of lines of code). That said, I won't claim to be a programmer, and I'm sure Seb or anyone who looked at my c++ would be horrified, but I can sling C syntax and get things to do what I want.

Seems like the functions listed here would only be a few lines of code, at least compared to what I've done in the SDK before with spectral bidules, doing web calls, launching windows programs, etc.

Porting to OSX could be a little bit of a challenge, as I'm not using OSX on a daily basis and the development environment keeps changing, along with the OS. I haven't fired up my Mac Mini in months, but I do have it. Could certainly pass the source code on to those of you with up to date OSX development environments.

boonier

Postby boonier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 pm

dts350z wrote:The problem with presets is that you can plan in advance to have a preset for any possible scenario someone might want.

I've built several plugins using the SDK, and have global users using them (thousands of lines of code). That said, I won't claim to be a programmer, and I'm sure Seb or anyone who looked at my c++ would be horrified, but I can sling C syntax and get things to do what I want.

Seems like the functions listed here would only be a few lines of code, at least compared to what I've done in the SDK before with spectral bidules, doing web calls, launching windows programs, etc.

Porting to OSX could be a little bit of a challenge, as I'm not using OSX on a daily basis and the development environment keeps changing, along with the OS. I haven't fired up my Mac Mini in months, but I do have it. Could certainly pass the source code on to those of you with up to date OSX development environments.

Wow sounds fantastic what you've done...pls send us a link, would be interested to see what that's about. I for one would be v interested to see the source code for those (assuming discrete comes to the sdk). I have limited experience with the sdk, and building plugins on OSX, but yeah, it does change pretty fast.

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:57 pm

My stuff is for automagically converting stereo into 5.1 surround sound, and can be found here: http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266

Sounds better than any commercial solution ;0)

I probably wouldn't share source for the spectral stuff, but would be happy to for others, such as the printf plugin I've shared on this forum, for formatting numbers in labels.

Z

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:07 pm

Bit of an epiphany this morning on how to block or pass a discrete event. Simple enough; use a 0-2 range parameter modulator to control the mode of a discrete dummy.

I made two versions, with inverted logic. Block/Pass blocks events when the control input is zero, and passes them when it's a one. Pass/Block has the reverse logic.

I went back through and redid my building blocks that used * as a switch, so these groups:

Discrete Logic Gate
Discrete Output Selector
Discrete Input Selector

got rev'd to version 2.0. The difference is now you don't get event on output for any event on any input (the values were always correct) so it behaves more like you would expect. On interesting thing I found is with Block/Pass etc. you NEED to connect multiple signals to an input, vs. NEEDing to use a + bidule before. Apparently the + bidules won't process if one of their inputs is no connected to a processing bidule.

New groups:

Discrete Trigger to Trigger 2
Discrete Block/Pass
Discrete Pass/Block

Discrete Building Blocks part 1 ver. 2.bidule
(179.63 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Still working on a counter/accumulator...

Enjoy
Z

Return to “Bidule Layouts”