Greetings...help with a group module

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

gwok

Greetings...help with a group module

Postby gwok » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi there Bidule folks! :D

I have used Bidule on and off for many years, and currently I've been making a patch and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with a group module I've made.

Basically I want to make a recorder that starts and stops and the bar/beat 1. I found some modules in the library, though they were all much more complex and cumbersome than my needs. So I started making one, and thought I had achieved the proper behaviour, until I realized that it was creating about 6 audio files every time.

What I did was use a modulus on the sync extractor (slaved to sync transport) to get a count of 1 to 4. Then I created a trigger to control the record start/stop. The idea is to then let the trigger value through on beat 1. I thought I had it, as i works great on most parameters (was testing with OpenUI), but then realized that when it's actually set to record, all these extra files get created. If someone would care to take a look and the module and maybe have some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

All's one has to do to get it to work is slave to group to a master sync transport module, and then link TRIG_ASSIGN to a audio recorder module's start/stop.

thanks for any suggestions :)

G
Attachments
Greg_record sync 1.bgrp.zip
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

jersmi

Re: Greetings...help with a group module

Postby jersmi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:20 am

I want to make a recorder that starts and stops and the bar/beat 1.

Here's a couple ideas. Both these require Audio Recorder set to "Create new file for each record". Specifically for your question, you could use "trigger at bar start". If you want triggers at n beats, multiply Samples per ppq * beats and send to a TriggerClock.

To get one recording per bar, the first pic shows sending "Trigger at bar start" -> Parameter Modulator (abs) (set min=0, max=1), linked to record.

To get a "one shot" recording at next bar, you could set up a "record enable" scenario. The second pic shows one way to do this.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.55.42 PM.png
new recording at each bar
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.55.42 PM.png (14.21 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.54.52 PM.png
record enable, record one bar beginning at the next bar
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.54.52 PM.png (29.52 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

Finally, to record more than one bar with record enable, you could send "trigger at bar start" to the input of an Accum set to loop, plug in a "bars" value to the high bound, then use the wrap around trigger in place of the "trigger at bar start".

gwok

Postby gwok » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:17 pm

thanks a lot jersmi. Doh, I can't believe I missed the trigger on bar output on the sync extractor - that makes things a lot easier

Ok, I'm going to dig around a bit. All of those examples are a little different behaviour then what I'm after, though they give me some good information to go with. Basically, I don't want to specifiy the recording length at all, I just want to quantize the start and stop point to the bar, if that makes sense. I don't believe those examples do that, if im correct, though maybe the 3rd example is leading me in the right direction, I'll have to play with it a bit

thanks!!

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Not sure what your ultimate goal is, but if you are wanting to record and playback bars, or sections of bars in the same session there are also audio buffers for that, vs. recording an playing to/from files.

gwok

Postby gwok » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:53 pm

oh thanks, I'll check those out. Though I dont want to "recycle" per se my audio within the project/ I basically want to capture audio files that are even units of bars long. though maybe the buffer can do that too, and I dont even have to create any sort of sync? will check into, thanks!

Return to “Bidule Layouts”