Help. Freeze Effect

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

perisan

Help. Freeze Effect

Postby perisan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:11 am

Hi,

Do you maybe have some ideas about how to emulate a Freeze/sustain effect kind of the electro-harmonix?

I've done something using the audio buffer but i never get rid of the attack and this rhythmic loop...

Thanks!

hlrf

Re: Help. Freeze Effect

Postby hlrf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:30 am

Try Spectral Freeze!!

Though the freeze-d tone alters a lot with your FFT setting.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 7.25.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 7.25.48 PM.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 4488 times

perisan

Postby perisan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:11 am

Hi, thanks for your help!

I must have done something wrong because i didn't get it working.

All what i get for the moment is a huge noise if i let open the gate, and a small "eco".

I don't really understand the theory behind so all what i did was to try all the possibles combinations.

I also tried some groups i downloaded from the "remote catalog" but i've got not success either.

I'll keep on trying...
please, help is welcome!

Thanks and best regards!

hlrf

Postby hlrf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Well you might want to try the spectral buffers, since the freeze bidule got a fixed length (again dependent on FFT size settings) it might sound click-y if the captured sample contained too long much variant from source (like plucked attack on guitars).

p.s. I use 4096 bins / 4 overlap and tend to trigger the freeze only on sustained notes to do drone...

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:16 pm

perisan wrote:I must have done something wrong because i didn't get it working.

To follow up on the Spectral Freeze, turn on "force gate" and connect a Trigger to the trigger input to capture the freeze. It should be that easy. Like hlrf says, you can try different FFT settings in the preferences menu. The iFFT window setting also effects the sound.

Regarding the Spectral Buffers, this is also a great suggestion and can produce similar sounds -- you might try using both a Frequency and a Magnitude Buffer, then link Buffer Mode and Buffer Size so you can control both at the same time.

perisan

Postby perisan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks, jersmi and hlrf!

I went a step forward on the Spectral Freeze but i still can't get rid of this rhythmical "clicks", also by sustained long sounds.

jersmi wrote:Like hlrf says, you can try different FFT settings in the preferences menu. The iFFT window setting also effects the sound.

I did find and try on the Windows Type but i can't find the Preferences Menu, how can i access?

hlrf wrote:Well you might want to try the spectral buffers

I did also try with Spectral Buffers, in this case i don't get clics but the sustain is really rhythmic too, not lineal.

hlrf wrote:p.s. I use 4096 bins / 4 overlap and tend to trigger the freeze only on sustained notes to do drone...

What do you mean with that? Has to do with the buffer size?

Thanks again and best regards!

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Window size is found by double clicking on the FFTs and iFFTs.

if you have more than one FFT/iFFT you may want to use parameter links to link your one window (source) to all other window (target) , so you can control them all at the same time.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:58 pm

perisan wrote:i can't find the Preferences Menu, how can i access?
hlrf wrote:p.s. I use 4096 bins / 4 overlap....

What do you mean with that? Has to do with the buffer size?

On OSX, Preferences are almost always in the menu under the name of the software. If you are using windows, hopefully you can figure it out from here. When hlrf says "bins", that's "FFT size" in the Preferences > DSP menu.

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 9.52.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 9.52.41 PM.png (131.18 KiB) Viewed 4306 times

perisan

Postby perisan » Sat May 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Oh, sorry, i thought i had to look on the Spectral Freeze window, i didn't know you were talking about the general Preferences. :oops:

I did find and try different values as you mention. Finally i've got a very acceptable Freeze with 8192 bins / 8 overlap. The dsp use is high but i'm happy with it :D

Thank you very much for your help!

With this i've got to know a little bit more about Bidule's possibilities. :wink:

Best regards!

Return to “Bidule Layouts”