How to filter out repetitions of a number

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

Raining frogs

How to filter out repetitions of a number

Postby Raining frogs » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:52 am

How do I archive this?
In MaxMsp there is object called ''change''. Change will output a given number only if it is different from the stored number and will reset the stored number to that differing input number.

dts350z

Re: How to filter out repetitions of a number

Postby dts350z » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:58 am

In audio?

In audio you are ALWAYS outputing the same number, every sample, until the number changes.

Not so in discrete, or midi, however.

There is an audio change bidule. Outputs a positive trigger (+1) on an increasing change and a negative trigger (-1) on a decreasing change. Use with an unary ABS to get a +1 trigger on any change.

Please say more about what type if signal you are using.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:19 am

IIUC, change~ in max/msp behaves the same as Change in Bidule. "Storing a number" suggests Change --> Abs --> Sample and Hold.

Raining frogs

Postby Raining frogs » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:12 pm

dts350z wrote:In audio?

In audio you are ALWAYS outputing the same number, every sample, until the number changes.

Not so in discrete, or midi, however.

There is an audio change bidule. Outputs a positive trigger (+1) on an increasing change and a negative trigger (-1) on a decreasing change. Use with an unary ABS to get a +1 trigger on any change.

Please say more about what type if signal you are using.

Sorry for confusion :) I need'd it for number values. I didnt manage to get accurate/smooth result (timing wise)using change bidule, so thats why I kind of was looking for different approach then using trigger based solution. ( Btw. nice to know about unrary ABS)

jersmi wrote:IIUC, change~ in max/msp behaves the same as Change in Bidule. "Storing a number" suggests Change --> Abs --> Sample and Hold.
This is actually exactly what I need'd, works like a charm! Thanks for both gentleman's.

Return to “Bidule Layouts”