For SDG - CC#s to Presets

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

URM

For SDG - CC#s to Presets

Postby URM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:21 pm

This layout is in response to a PM, but there's no attachments via PM so it's attached here instead.

A simple example of using 2 CC#s parameter linked to triggers on a accum to step up and down through 127 presets of a mixer. A third CC is linked to return the mixer to preset 1.

Hope it helps.

Jamie
Attachments
SDG CCs to Preset Change.bidule
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Soli Deo Gloria

Re: For SDG - CC#s to Presets

Postby Soli Deo Gloria » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:32 am

Thank you very much, man!

I could do not only the preset change via CCs, but I also could manage to spit out real CC values (ascending and descending) by linking the PM to preset change module to a CC creator group or an instance of ReaControl MIDI (from the Reaplugs edition of Reaper´s plugins : http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/). With your CC to presets change group, I could also begin to grasp the functionality of the Accum module (bewildering, as you call it), although I must confess it lets me rather perplexed, too : why if you remove the -63 constant, for example, the presets begin on number 64?

I couldn´t have figured it out without your help, and I deeply appreciate it, really! I hope there is some chance to return the favor at any moment...

Cheers!

URM

Postby URM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:02 pm

My pleasure and glad it helped.

To be honest I don't have a clear understanding of why the math for the accum works the way it does as I searched these forums and found this piece of logic years ago when I was setting up my QWERTY to midi group. Sorry I don't remember who created the original layout, but likely someone with real math skills and certainly not a hack trial and error experimenter like me. Believe me I would never have figured this out on my own either so once again big thanks to all those who share here.

I mostly use this accum logic to increment / decrement velocity and pitch transpose values when using my laptop's QWERTY keyboard as a 2 octave midi keyboard. I've found other uses for it, but whenever I tweak its values, I have to hook up a bunch of audio value display monitors and do a bunch of experimenting with numbers and head scratching before I get something that works.

The math though does seem to be related to the range in the Parameter Modulator which goes from -127 to +127 which I guess gives 127 steps up from 0 and 127 steps down from 0 which aligns nicely with the usual 128 steps in the midi spec.

BTW there is a small bug in the logic. If you're on preset 1 and hit the down trigger a few times, the accum will still send out down values, but of course the destination device remains on preset 1. In order to get to preset 2 though after the above action, you'll have to push the up trigger an equal number of times as you pushed the down trigger plus 1 to get to preset 2 as the accum has to get back to the 1 after accumulating those phantom down messages. I've tried fixing that, but have never managed to hack out a solution although I'm sure someone with real math skills would be able to figure it out.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:18 am

A Value List would also work nicely for this with the next/reset/previous inputs, with param mod set to min=0, max=127.

URM

Postby URM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for chiming in Jersmi, that's a better and easier to understand solution. I'll be replacing my old accum logic with this in my layouts.

Bonus as the value list makes the presets wrap around very nicely without any phantom clicks to confuse the issue. I'm guessing it's probably a bit more CPU efficient too using the value list instead of the accum.

Attached a quick proof of concept based on the value list.
Attachments
CCs to Preset Change w Value List.bidule
(13.07 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

Soli Deo Gloria

Postby Soli Deo Gloria » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:46 am

Again, thanks so much Jersmi and URM for the insights!!! I´ve already adapted this value list mod to my needs, and in a few days I´ll share my most humble variation...

This is a great place to learn, really!

Return to “Bidule Layouts”