Is there a way to alternate between two Midi Outs?

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

jlvmusic

Is there a way to alternate between two Midi Outs?

Postby jlvmusic » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:00 am

I would like to take a single repeating note and have it alternate between two outputs. Is there a way to do this? For example, if i played a single note on a drum pad I'd like it to go back and forth between two outputs. I could then assign a transposer and have each hit alternating between the original note and a note one octave above. Any help is much appreciated! : )

reezekeys

Re: Is there a way to alternate between two Midi Outs?

Postby reezekeys » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13 am

I came up with this in a few minutes, seems to work with my limited testing.

Link the Param Modulator's modulation to the "active output" of the midi switcher. Set up the Value List & Parameter Modulator's parameters as shown. Make sure only note-ons are getting through to the midi activity bidule (i.e., the "Note On" box should be the only one ticked).

The midi notes will alternate between outputs 1 and 16.

You can expand on this by adding numbers between the "1" and "2" in the value list. E.g., if the value list is "1;1.2;1.5;1.7;2" the outputs will switch from 1-->4-->9-->12-->16 and around again.

You may want to filter the note input to the one note you want, since the layout below will switch outputs with any notes it sees.

EDIT: Stop the presses! (This is what happens when you rush through things). You may get notes cutting off (or hanging) if you're not triggering one-shot drum samples (I read your post's mention of "drum pads" so I assumed that). You can fix this by substituting a "Midi Switcher 2 ports" instead of the regular midi switcher. It has different checkboxes in its GUI - Make sure "Close Notes on Output Change" is not ticked, and "Keep Track of Notes by Output, No Automatic Closing" is ticked.

jlvmusic

Postby jlvmusic » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Thank you "reezekeys!" You have been such a big help on my journey to understanding Bidule-- and getting it to play back scores in Sibelius. This is not the first time you have helped me, I very much appreciate your input! I was thinking your "round robin" group (created for a drummer) was close to what I needed. It looks to me like what you have sent will do the trick. I have a timpani patch that has LF and RT hand stikes 2 octaves apart, so I think what you've sent me will make it so the LF and RT hands will alternate from single notes sent.

i.e. If I enter C3, C3, C3, C3. It will playback C3, C5, C3, C5 and so on up the scale. If that makes sense. I'm going to try out what you have uploaded. Thanks again!

reezekeys

Postby reezekeys » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:19 pm

You're quite welcome! I like challenges like this and usually wind up using these ideas in my own layouts.

You are correct about what this will do – assuming of course that you put a note transposer on one of the outputs of the midi switcher, set to transpose by +24. For what you want to achieve though, I think I'd find it easier to play two adjacent notes (i.e., two semitones apart), and set the transposer bidule to +22, or just a half-step apart with a +23 setting.

reezekeys

Postby reezekeys » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Here is a possibly easier way, as long as all the notes are going to the same plug-in. Now I'm modulating the note transposer, alternating between 0 and +24. Set the parameters as shown and link the Param Modulator's modulation to the Note Transposer's "Note Transpose" function.

jlvmusic

Postby jlvmusic » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Just put this together using your first variation. (pic attached) It worked like a charm. I really need to gain a better understanding of the "building blocks" and making better use of the parameters... some day : ) I'll check out the other version too!

Again, Thank you.

Best,

Jim
Attachments
reeze 2 note switcher 170127.png
reeze 2 note switcher 170127.png (44.82 KiB) Viewed 1272 times

reezekeys

Postby reezekeys » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm glad it's working for you! For me it's always "which way uses less CPU?", so my second method might save a few cycles but it's probably meaningless.

Return to “Bidule Layouts”