Discrete Midi Gesture Creator

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

jersmi

Discrete Midi Gesture Creator

Postby jersmi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Here's a test group for creating midi "gestures" to modulate pitchbend separately across 16 channels.

The gestures here emulate overshoot and vibrato, as mentioned in this thread about creating a 16 channel humanizer for orchestral strings.

The idea of a gesture in this case is similar in concept to an automation envelope one might see in a DAW (only in this case the gestures are lists), which means the basic concept could be applied to other midi data.

I created the three gesture preset lists by copying/pasting/editing the LUT bidule in a word processor. This process is tedious, and the LUT length limits the length of a gesture, but it's the best way I could find using built-in bidules. One day Bidule might have a discrete LUT or some kind of graph, and in fact this group was built to make it easy to upgrade (i.e., replace the Value Lists).

Features
Set global rate for all gestures (btw, as the rate gets smaller/faster, dsp% increases).
Selecting "rdm gesture for new note" will randomly select a gesture preset for each voice when it receives a new note on.
Setting min/max gesture amount and delay will also add some random variation.

midi_gestures_discrete.bgrp
(708.63 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

*The channel setup is for my test layout, probably just change the splitter to sort by channel for "normal" scenarios?

And wth, here's the test layout which uses the Aria Player and some version of the Garritan Personal Orchestra. The setup for generating notes is my own convoluted process, probably not the clearest for testing.....
midi_gestures_poly3.bidule
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 17 times

jersmi

Re: Discrete Midi Gesture Creator

Postby jersmi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 am

Ah, forgot to pull out my failed poly delays....

These do not work in the main layout:
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.40.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.40.00 PM.png (9.99 KiB) Viewed 660 times

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 am

The delays not working takes this off topic to the thread -- but why does this not work in the poly adapter?

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.29.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.29.16 PM.png (32.33 KiB) Viewed 660 times

With the poly adapter, the note on/off messages seem to get lost....

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.34.41 PM.png
Midi monitors before and after poly delay
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.34.41 PM.png (144.5 KiB) Viewed 658 times

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Ok, I don't think these "poly delays" ever worked like I thought. I think the poly adapter gets confused with the delay? I thought it would work because I have successfully used the poly adapter to generate random values per voice for velocity.

Anyway, back to using the MIDI Splitter to separate notes running one delay/group per voice.

Question: is there a way to send one OSC string to many addresses using "value_list_set"? Or a way to connect a string to the parameter input of OSC Creator 2?

EDIT: answer: (duh) parameter linking!

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 am

The extra audio output of a poly'ed group needs to be set up as a gate for the life duration of the voice so that if you use a midi delay the voice would need to stay active from receiving the note on until the corresponding delayed note off has passed through.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 am

Better, yes. Thanks, Seb!

boonier

Postby boonier » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 am

I don't understand what this group does, but I'm sure it's excellent coming from Jersmi!

Possible to throw up an audio example pls?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:00 am

Not so excellent at the moment, some midi signal flow issues. Essentially it's a simple idea -- polyphonic modulation of pitchbend. I'm overloaded at the moment, can post some audio when I settle. Latest group attached.

I _think_ this one works as designed... Once again, all discrete (except for things that don't yet exist as discrete modules), and steps through value lists for "envelopes" (so fast speeds = more dsp%). In my musical experiments with this one, I may from time to time be making a stupid mistakes, like with how pitchbend works, e.g., global vs per channel. Sometimes I like how the mistakes sound and I fool myself into thinking the group is working "correctly" so I leave it. So I am still testing.

As part of the same layout (as originally posted -- this time I won't burden anyone here with my messy, convoluted design process), I'm also still working on a discrete midi delay to change delay time with each new note on (also not all discrete as there is currently no discrete midi delay (basic)). This can cause stuck notes, still sorting that out. Also attached.
Attachments
discrete_midi_delay_list.bgrp
(305.37 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
midi_gestures_discrete.bgrp
(923.84 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Return to “Bidule Layouts”