Tap Tempo Revisited

Post your groups/layouts here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

BiCho

Postby BiCho » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:36 am

I've been using this tap tempo, and I would love to have a display which tells me the BPM detected by the tapping.

Anyone knows how to do this in Bidule?
audiotecna.info - Innovación Musical
Ortofon DJ, Native Instruments and Moog Music distributor for Colombia

BiCho

Postby BiCho » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:40 pm

* bump *

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:13 am

I'm guessing the the audio monitor isn't a good display, right?

I guess it could be possible to build something that will give you a visual cue like having multiple sliders and their current value meaning something or use processing modes to have signs for bpm ranges

Hansje

Postby Hansje » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:47 am

Another adventurous idea might be to use the new key sender bidule to transmit the right characters to a text editor (notepad) window.
If you set the font size for notepad to something like 72pt bold, you'd have yourself a jumbo display :)

BiCho

What about the keyboard's lights?

Postby BiCho » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:51 pm

I'm using the keyboard as a controller, and since I assigned the sustain pedal to the [Caps Lock], the light in the keyboard tells me whenever the sustain has been kept pressed.

I wonder if there is a way to turn the lights on and off from bidule. In that way you could use one of them as a bpm light, and it would be really really nice!

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:22 am

I wonder if there is a way to turn the lights on and off from bidule.

I kind of remember reading something about having code turn on and off the state of caps/num/scroll lock could lead to problems but I would need to find it back (might also have nothing to do with what I ended up using and was referring to another method when I was searching on the different ways to implement the creation of keystrokes)

Barring that possible problem, I don't know how latency would affect that and if there's a limit to how many times you can turn on/off the light in a specific period of time.

Hansje

Postby Hansje » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:10 pm

and if there's a limit to how many times you can turn on/off the light in a specific period of time

From a silly attempt to build a word processor from bidule building blocks, I can tell you that things start getting critical at sending ~20 keystrokes/sec :wink:

numer9

Postby numer9 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:47 pm

I've been using this tap tempo, and I would love to have a display which tells me the BPM detected by the tapping.

Me too I was looking for a bpm display, so I made myself a VST with synthedit. Was kind of easy, but it was my first time to try synthedit, so don't blame me if anything goes wrong. It works for me:

http://matthias.loibner.net/files/blink.zip

number9

benvoyons

Postby benvoyons » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Hello,

I m trying to use the tap2sync with my midi controller who can generate note or cc or pc.

I've joined the midi input to the tap2sync input and in the parameters, join the bpm as the bpm of sync transport value.

I think that i must join something between the midi and a parameter in the group tap2sync... but which one ?

gastric

Re: Tap Tempo Revisited

Postby gastric » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:48 am

Can someone provide noobie directions on how to successfully implement this?

I currently use MIDI Clock To Sync to sync to my synth player. No issues.

How to I implement this so I can use tap temp when not slaving to an external clock, but still accept an external clock whenever it's available? All automatically so I don't have to go around changing my Bidule layout/setup?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:28 am

FWIW, I'm not so sure the Tap2Sync group is 100% reliable. I have a hacked together version that was usable but had a fatal flaw. I was using it in unconventional ways so it didn't matter. Anyway, I just had an idea for making my version simpler and more stable. Maybe I can do some testing this week on mine and post it up. If anyone has another working option, I'd love to see it. It can't be that hard -- how does Ableton do it?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:02 am

TapTempo.bgrp

Here's a simpler approach. This uses the recursive function to average the current and previous taps. Seems to get the point across. I had a look at the javascript from here: http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm. Should work with any midi input. Go inside the group to connect midi note/channel filter(s). Also inside the group there's an extra feature to "gravitate" around a base BPM (tapping pulls it away from the base BPM). This feature was made for a specific project, probably not much practical use.

Filip Hnizdo

Postby Filip Hnizdo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:35 pm

As always jersmi you're a Bidule god. I've slotted in your tap tempo triggered by a midi note creator and the wrap around of an accum powering an audio file player/looper. The tapped tempo is then the sync point of an arpeggiator which plays sequences in time to the audio loop. I've tried the previous tap tempo groups and even vsts and they were never quite right but from a few tests this one seems perfect. Not really made anything musical apart from looped birdsong playing in sync to a chord sequence but I'll get there eventually. Great that you managed to put in a BPM display as well.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Filip Hnizdo wrote:I've slotted in your tap tempo triggered by a midi note creator and the wrap around of an accum powering an audio file player/looper. The tapped tempo is then the sync point of an arpeggiator which plays sequences in time to the audio loop.

Great!
If you get a group together, please post! I'd love to see it.

If anything the construction of this TapTempo group is simpler so should be easier to modify or troubleshoot.

gastric

Postby gastric » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Quick reply. I finally (weeks later) got around to trying the latest Tap Tempo. Seems to work well and only takes a few taps to get rolling to the new tempo. I tapped following a metronone and it seemed spot on, assuming I can tap the beat well. ;) Certainly not an exhaustive test, but was super easy. Just needs a Note On and away you go!

Return to “Bidule Layouts”