option: show colored "midi path" along cables

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

nym

option: show colored "midi path" along cables

Postby nym » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 pm

clumsy mockup gif. assume the midi filter splits the incoming signal into 2 arbitrary paths. let's say output 1 is midinote data and output 2 is cc data.

a user hits notes on a controller. bidule's cables flash red to indicate the path of the midi. this could happen in realtime -- my clumsy attempt to follow the cable obviously is not realtime. (colors specific to midi message type are a bonus request)

reason: i have a huge default bidule layout that is basically the operating system of my midi controllers. it's awesome, it's integral to what i do, and i love it/am very proud of it. however, it is extremely, extremely difficult to visualize/find specific things sometimes. i use loopbe30 and ethernet midi, as well as physical midi i/os, so there are dozens of inputs, outputs, etc.

colorizing bidules helped me a LOT. however, to see where things start, end, finish, and branch off -- a feature to show my midi path would be very, very useful and would help bidule be a little more user friendly.

meanwhile, i just have monitors everywhere, but this is like multiple peepholes into a huge room. i'd rather have a bird's eye view.

Vas

Re: option: show colored "midi path" along cables

Postby Vas » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:44 am

In a simple set up your FR is not that important
but at it gets more complex then I can see how
useful it can be.
Bidule, Windows 10, 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Xeon W3690, 12 GB RAM.

reezekeys

Postby reezekeys » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:48 pm

I too have a very involved layout and sometimes need to troubleshoot by seeing where midi is going to or coming from. My idea was a small "activity" light on each bidule. That's not quite as informative as this FR but at least you could tell at a single glance which bidules are receiving or sending midi.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Another wacky idea: of course images are fundamental to custom GUI, maybe there's a crude workaround -- what about letting us import/drop images to the Comment bidule (or make another bidule for images so we can set pixel dimensions), then we might be able to use images + presets to make our own "data monitors" (and share them).

Not as simple and efficient as your FR would be in practice. Just throwing it out there.

Vas

Postby Vas » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Vas

Postby Vas » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:29 pm

perhaps this is a better video.
Image-Line | Minihost Modular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhfO9yYNlJY
The cables light up when they are active.

nym

Postby nym » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:13 pm

i'm back to beg for this feature. look how badly i need it! this is all midi stuff, no audio. right click/open in new tab to see the full jpg, which is actually not the entire bidule project...

reezekeys

Postby reezekeys » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:53 pm

I might need it a little more than you! :)

nym

Postby nym » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:01 pm

bumping this old one! this would be such a big help.

Credo

Postby Credo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 am

+1 for being able to right click a cable and set a color for it just like we can currently do for the bidules themselves.

Even better would be be a way to assign any bidules and cables to a 'color group'. I.E. Hold ctrl and select a bunch of stuff, then assign all that to a tag. From then on, changing the tag's colors would do it for everything that's assigned to it.

Going a step further, when making our own 'grouped bidules', it'd be cool to have a port type that we can also set a color for. I can understand that MIDI should always be white, samples/audio blue, etc....but a flexi port that we can setup for any data type, and set our own colors for would be a nice 'extra perk' for those of us getting a little long in the eye-sight department.

Return to “Bidule Feature Requests”