implementing the ableton link protocol

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

tubsen

implementing the ableton link protocol

Postby tubsen » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:04 am

hello,

recently checking out the broad field of integrating mobile devices in the process of sound/music production i came across the ableton link protocol as a possibility to synchronize apps and software. have you, the plogue bidule developers, ever thought about an implementation of this protocol in bidule because as far as i understand it would be a great addition to the bidule feature set concerning timing, controlling, modulation?
wouldn't the use of this protocol even make sense to synch different daw softwares tight? an example is the pd_link_bridge.

cheers,
tl.

URM

Re: implementing the ableton link protocol

Postby URM » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:06 pm

+1, but I think so far Abelton has only made Link available to ios apps. Fingers crossed though hoping that they make Link available to all operating systems and that Plogue can implement it into Bidule. Maybe they'll make it available after the initial roll out with the current version of Live, but doubt it will be soon as it gives Abelton a distinct advantage in the DAW wars.

In the meanwhile if you have an ios device with midi that can run Link and midi ports on your Bidule machine(s), try the free Link To Midi app as it generates rock solid midi clock. My partner in dreamSTATE has been running Link to lock his istuff up and we recently started using the Link to Midi app to generate midi clock for our PC based laptops and tablet with amazing success.

In the midi clock to sync bidule, the BPM from the clock coming in from Link to Midi barely drifts at all so with round tempo turned on in the midi clock to sync bidule, pretty much everything in our systems stays locked up. Link to Midi actually generates tighter midi clock than our hardware boxes that generate midi clock. Highly recommended if it fits your rig.

Good article on Link to Midi here:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/01/a ... -and-midi/

Hope this helps as an alternative and again plus one for Link in Bidule and plus one for Abelton to make Link available to all. Link and Link To Midi make a pretty amazing syncing solution.

Jamie

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon May 02, 2016 9:57 am

It really looks like only the "client" side of the protocol is available (and for iOS only). The "server" side is most likely being kept as a Live exclusive.

tubsen

Postby tubsen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:13 pm

is there really a "client" and a "server" side?
is there a real hierarchy?

between ios apps it works flawlessly and every app "has the same right to change" tempo etc.

i'd love to see some sort of implementation in bidule but i'm not really a programmer so i don't know how hard this would be.

cheers,
tl.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:09 am

I'd need to have a look at the code and also see what kind of use case there is.

And with the unknown jumping through hoops (or paying?):
"If you would like to incorporate Link into a proprietary software application, please contact link-devs@ableton.com."

boonier

Postby boonier » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:07 pm

Would be great. Though doesn't something similar exist in OSC over networks?

Though not to poo-poo all over everything, there are other things I'd like to see in Bidule first :)

tubsen

Postby tubsen » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:05 am

any news on this?

cheers,
tl.

nkurence

Postby nkurence » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 pm

+1 for Ableton Link as a sync source

Return to “Bidule Feature Requests”