Any hope of GUI upgrades for Bidule?

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

jersmi

Any hope of GUI upgrades for Bidule?

Postby jersmi » Mon May 30, 2016 1:06 am

At this point in its history, what would it take to have some upgrades to Bidule's gui scheme? Money, time, desire? Is this how Bidule shall remain?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Any hope of GUI upgrades for Bidule?

Postby seb@plogue » Mon May 30, 2016 9:23 am

Time unless money means getting someone else able to do everything I do so more can be done.

For chipsynth, I've been working on using both SVGs and vector code to do the UI. Eventually that is something that should get back into Bidule.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks for the response, Seb. Looking forward!

boonier

Postby boonier » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:26 am

SVG is ze bomb

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Allowing for an (optional ?) html5 representation of group parameters would be pretty awesome.

That would allow for pretty much infinite customization.

Checkmark to use html5, then show the user the html5 elements (code) for each of the parameters, and they can write the gui using those.

e.g.:

Webkit for rendoring.

boonier

Postby boonier » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:28 am

That looks great Glenn, what OSC library are you using just out of interest? Is the latency pretty responsive?

I agree that HTML5 elements (and CSS) would make for very flexible gui options, and that's not even scratching the surface when you consider Canvas and JS! I'd feel very at home with a gui kit like that as a front-end dev.

However, I do feel that the current gui with a little finesse could be pretty solid for the meantime, instead of having to wait for this to happen, as I imagine its a massive undertaking for Seb and the guys.

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:29 pm

It talks to my app via websockets, not OSC. Biddle is actually not involved, although was used for all the algorithm development. The app is c++ in windows. Latency is fine for the controls, but the meter update is not fast enough for realtime with 8 chananels. I think I'm doing 0.5 second updates (from memory).

The point was to show an example of an audio control interface rendered in HTML5, so it works in any html5 browser (chrome, firefox, safari, edge, pc, mac, ios, android). The app acts a webserver so can serve up the interface, and it can either launch the system's default browser, one specified, or wait for a remote connection from an iPad or what have you.

I guess OSC could be used, instead of websockets, but my idea in posting here was to render it inside bidule, with the communication happening behind the scenes.

100mountains

Postby 100mountains » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 am

even if they just made those column things so EVERYTHING in the whole gooey didnt get fucked by moving one thing, that would be handy.

boonier

Postby boonier » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:57 am

100mountains wrote:even if they just made those column things so EVERYTHING in the whole gooey didnt get fucked by moving one thing, that would be handy.

Yup small improvements here would be good

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:30 am

Wishing for an LED that could change color based on some param linked to it, which led to yet another idea to get some more visual feedback, something like:
1. text gui elements that can turn Comment label text into a button with a hit state or a click and drag 1D knob/slider. Importantly, when exported to GUI, it would only take up the space the text characters take up.
2. something approaching rtf text editing in the Comment text area. (At least font, size and color, saved to layout and exportable to GUI. I just noticed I can change the font and size with right click. Will this keep the properties with the layout? I'm on macOS 10.12.2).

:mrgreen:

100mountains

Postby 100mountains » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:28 am

im still waiting for the gooey i was told was coming out in a few months about 6 years ago :D

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 am

What about NexusUI? Looks like the devs are about to update it. still would require OSC setup, I guess....

boonier

Postby boonier » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:30 am

GUI is hard to get right and often the most dreaded task. I reckon the wxWidget gui has some life in it yet...or maybe it doesn't..

Seb has mentioned doing a bunch of work for the other products using SVG. I don't particularly care about pretty sliders and knobs. I only care about enhancing user experience - more shortcuts, better list management (group parameter dialog, draggable items, re-order media items in window - like we can drag presets in the preset management dialog so why not others?). I've said this before :) de ja vu sketch lol!

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Well, NexusUI does have an adorable turntable widget for 100mountain's DJ friends. 8)

Here's what prompted me to post, a bit from the dev on present and future of NexusUI:
https://github.com/lsu-emdm/nexusUI/issues/73

The future clearly leans towards web based applications, and also require a user motivated setup like dts350z's browser interface. But i dunno, so I ask. https://github.com/lsu-emdm/nexusUI/blo ... idget.html

100mountains

Postby 100mountains » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:22 pm

jersmi wrote:Well, NexusUI does have an adorable turntable widget for 100mountain's DJ friends. 8)

IRLOL - i have history ok!?!?! :D i find a lot of people when you think they react strangely to something are basing their behaviour on past experiences.
that NEXUS looks interesting, appears there are a few solutions out there or gooey stuff, im just trying to find the quickest one for me. atm reaktor seems to be it. i have just spent three days designing the UI for jersmis sequencer tho, it took me ages to figure out some things, like inserting 459 scales into the event table on reaktor was a bit of a pain :D only doable via javascript - theres some github repo for it. took me ages to find it. the scaling stuff is weird as well. still dont really understand it but ive managed to bodge it together. except for knob 27 which is feeding back. dont look at knob 27. DONT LOOK AT KNOB 27. yeah it would be a decent solution for bidule to partner with someone on it. see also CTRLR. i think that uses the JUCE library tho which means its not suitable. i just wonder whether there is a way to still partner with one of those things tho, by bundling the two together as separate packages but enabling some inbuilt OSC communication between them and maintaining the licences. if that was possible there is VSTGUI as well i cant remember if that is cross platform or whether it was suitable.

Return to “Bidule Feature Requests”