Any hope of GUI upgrades for Bidule?

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

dts350z

Re: Any hope of GUI upgrades for Bidule?

Postby dts350z » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 pm

jersmi wrote:Wishing for an LED that could change color based on some param linked to it

Yeah did that in my websockets/html5 interface.

I have 3 or 4 websocket connections in each direction. As each one comes online the LED changes color, ending in Green.

Another approach, if you learn to do GUIs in Reaper's JSFX, there's a free VST version that works in PB. Also it is possible to compile JSFX effects into VSTs with something called Geep Jeez!.

Some examples of what's possible here:

http://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins

Since JSFX is a scripting language, you can examine and learn from the JSFX versions.

To run them in PB (vs. reaper) you'll need this:

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

100mountains

Postby 100mountains » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:10 pm

reaktor has that LED :D

boonier

Postby boonier » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:44 am

jersmi wrote:Well, NexusUI does have an adorable turntable widget for 100mountain's DJ friends. 8)

Here's what prompted me to post, a bit from the dev on present and future of NexusUI:
https://github.com/lsu-emdm/nexusUI/issues/73

The future clearly leans towards web based applications, and also require a user motivated setup like dts350z's browser interface. But i dunno, so I ask. https://github.com/lsu-emdm/nexusUI/blo ... idget.html

Just checked out that UI lib and it does look pretty decent. Going the route of a web based gui does create a separation of concerns which might suit Plogue chaps nicely: we get to create our monstrous/beautiful interfaces how we like, while they can focus on functionality. It does raise an issue of portability; dependencies when distributing work around, creating local servers and the like might not be everyones cup of tea, but it does open up many possibilities.

I'll be starring that repo to see where it goes :)

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:51 am

Looking for a pure OSC lib for javascript (assumes you are making your own UI in html5) I see:

https://github.com/colinbdclark/osc.js/

Sounds like there are others as well, but this one doesn't require node.js.

100mountains

Postby 100mountains » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:53 am

making my own UI in javascript.... hmmmmm not appealing :D. and it sort of goes against the whole slightly 'higher level' advantage of bidule i think. wow how long would that take me :D if there was a web based library of nobs, lists, faders etc then it might be more doable. this is like, program your own from scratch tho right. ouch. i dont think its a solution which will make bidule more popular amongst the masses. its a solution that will just about get heavy geeks out of the gooey problem but we are not all js programmers.

the browser thing tho will ensure cross platform compatibility i suppose. thats one advantage.

i would certainly like to rid my life of the kind of gooey vomit displayed here, thats not even half the gooeys for this patch :/
Captur1e.PNG
Captur1e.PNG (157.78 KiB) Viewed 1052 times

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm jumping into Ctrlr. I would love to know what folks think....

I would not be surprised to learn that Plogue has some history with Ctrlr (like Tablewarp -- I like that instrument btw -- looks like a Ctrlr GUI!)

I imagine a world where Bidule could use a subset of Ctrlr tools for GUI. But since Ctrlr is open source (ie, JUCE), that probably couldn't happen, right?

Anyway, I finally found software with less documentation than Bidule! Awesome! :roll:

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:48 pm

I tried Ctrlr. Conclusion: it would be possible with midi (and most like requiring some Lua scripting), but quite impractical for enough reasons, not to mention redundant within the Bidule environment.

For the most part it led me back to the original desire to have a bare-bones drag and drop model in Bidule, where users can drag gui elements into place on a canvas, choose a gui style and resize them. (Pt 2 -- it would also be great to have tabs and background imgs, as well as be able to use other knob designs, ala knobman.) Seems to me the resizable graphs in .9756 as well as the mention of svg's a while back puts the idea a couple tiny steps closer.

I know these things take time and energy.

boonier

Postby boonier » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:09 am

Could JUCE be used for the GUI? Seems to be what the folks are using these days. So instead of trying to control Bidule through Ctrlr (which is JUCE), put Bidule in JUCE?

Speaking of gui rewrites, PurrData which is a fork of Pd-l20rk is being done using nw.js framwork, which uses HTML5, SVG and Node JS. The canvas is made in SVG and it's a wonder!

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 am

Could JUCE be used for the GUI?

Not by me.

For the most part it led me back to the original desire to have a bare-bones drag and drop model in Bidule, where users can drag gui elements into place on a canvas, choose a gui style and resize them.

It would most likely be closer to ARIA XML format, not even thinking about drag and drop for building before the rest is done.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:27 am

seb@plogue wrote:It would most likely be closer to ARIA XML format, not even thinking about drag and drop for building before the rest is done.

Ok, I guess that keeps it in the Plogue family. Anything close to air time?

Return to “Bidule Feature Requests”