More Discrete Bidules

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

jersmi

More Discrete Bidules

Postby jersmi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:18 pm

A general request for more discrete bidules, including:

An "Accum". Or maybe call it "counter 2" so as not to confuse with the audio Accum, since it should probably never run at sample rate? Point is to have equivalent features to Accum.

Routing bidules -- input/output selectors, maybe matrices.

MIDI Delay (building block)

LUT (once again, not to be used at SR like for waveforms, just as a basic table of values to step through with a counter. It's the drawable gui that's useful).

Built-in versions of dts350z's building blocks (logic gate, sample and hold, trigger 2, input/output selectors):
https://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7212

(dts350z's building blocks can be really helpful. Though with layouts using many duplicates of these I am wondering if built-in versions will reduce dsp overhead.)

Finally, would there be a problem if all discretes assume an empty port = 0 (like the audio bidules)?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: More Discrete Bidules

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 am

Finally, would there be a problem if all discretes assume an empty port = 0 (like the audio bidules)?

Yes, one of the reasons for having discrete is to get rid of no connections/default output means a steady stream of 0s.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Oh, that makes sense. So an input selector, for example, would simply allow discrete events (+ values) to pass through the selected input, and block all others.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm

So an input selector, for example, would simply allow discrete events (+ values) to pass through the selected input, and block all others.

The major difference would be that Pan and Linear Interpolation would make no sense if there's no events occurring at the same time on the relevant ports if the input to use is fractional. Otherwise, it would probably also defaults to no port until it receives the first event.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 pm

That makes sense.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:23 pm

I forgot to add to the list the other time-based building blocks -- TriggerClock, TriggerGate and Trigger to Gate. Essentials!

Edit: maybe Gate/Trigger Sequencer and Divider, too, to finish off the building blocks.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Getting used to event flow and how events are updated. For ex. with a function or binary operator, if I plug in values to a new function, I need to wiggle all input sliders to get the function to output properly. So it appears events only push downstream (never pull from upstream), is that a correct way to understand it? This might only be something to look out for when building stuff, fine in practice, not sure yet....

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Since discrete Midi Note Extractor 2 / Creator 2 appear to have issues keeping track of Note Ons/Offs, this does not work --

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 7.12.31 PM.png
extractor/creator jumbles note ons/offs
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 7.12.31 PM.png (26.85 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Which requires this "workaround" (though I actually would prefer this way):

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 7.13.36 PM.png
transposer works but requires discrete to audio
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 7.13.36 PM.png (27.45 KiB) Viewed 341 times

I guess I should add the MIDI Basic Transposer to the list, too. (Actually it is a workhorse, should be on the list anyway).

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Would it be stupid to request a way to separate discrete events from data? I think it's a source of confusion going back and forth between audio and discrete. For ex., the Midi Extractor note on/off triggers show a constant output of 1 on the discrete monitor, I guess the discrete trigger, too. Maybe a way to send an event without data?

Return to “Bidule Feature Requests”