CPU Usage bidule?

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

Hoops

CPU Usage bidule?

Postby Hoops » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 am

I wonder if there could be a CPU Usage bidule that would have realtime CPU usage per core as a parameter. Presumably there would be as many of these as there are cores in a given system.

Here’s how it might work. You’d look in, say, /Misc/ and there’d be a subdirectory called CPU/ containing

CPU0
CPU1
CPU2
CPU3

the exact number of which would be configured, perhaps, at startup to reflect the number of cores present.

Putting, say, the CPU0 bidule in your layout would result in the realtime usage percentage of that core being available as a linkable, exportable and OSC transmissible parameter. You could use that to, for example, have logical and/or math structures mute or bypass certain bidules when the CPU rises above a certain level.

Or (and this is really the reason I personally want this) you could send the CPU usages of each core as a string via OSC in order to monitor CPU usage with, say, Lemur; that way, you could keep track of CPU usage without having to look at the actual screen of your laptop in live performance.

Is this feasible?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: CPU Usage bidule?

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:39 am

If you mean what's already displayed in the status bar, it should be possible to add it.

Hoops

Postby Hoops » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:27 am

Yes, Seb, that's exactly what I mean. That would be very helpful to me.

Thank you for considering it!

Cheers,

H

URM

Postby URM » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Big plus 1 on this.

Be appreciated to even just have them so they could be part of a group GUI to make them bigger for my old eyes as I'm always squinting at CPU and with Ghost mode now it's even worse due to everything being dimmer so being able to set them to medium or large label as a GUI parameter would be great.

Hoop's ideas to use them to trigger logic to turn things on/off and whatnot is also very inspiring - can see some new logic puzzles to confound me in the near future. Thanks Hoops, you've also got me thinking about using OSC to display the 4 cores of my laptop along with the 2 cores of my tablet in one place on my crap droid phone.

Thanks for considering this Seb.

Jamie

Return to “Bidule Feature Requests”